Czlaplon Quest

GM: TarlimanJoppos. "This subforum is for an online spinoff from my Bearers of the Helm campaign."
arcomniflash
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby arcomniflash » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm

I'll regard both of the men evenly. "Right. Gudrun has compiled a range of texts that we need to look over in any case. We should eat first, but then I'm going to take this opportunity to look over them. I would appreciate your help with this Shaliko. Kolbeinn is also doing some of the research, but to help him communicate we need someone who speaks Sperethial. Once that's over and done with I'll consider thinking about new clothes. As for this lead up in the Caucavics, I'd like to get on that as soon as possible, so we can talk about it when we're all together."

- Isaac

Tarliman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tarliman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 am

“Which would be now,” Mekhitar says, and sweeps grandly off to the table reserved for your group, where he is joined by Gudrun and Kolbeinn, who have come downstairs.. A few minutes later, you're all seated, you have dinner placed before you, and Kolbeinn has spoken with Shaliko. “Index,” Shaliko says in Throalic, followed by something in Sperethiel and “Index” again. Kolbeinn pronounces the word carefully, committing it to memory. Then he turns to Isaac. “We must index the findings in the journals, um - “ He speaks with Shaliko again, who provides the phrase “cross-reference”. Gudrun nods agreement. “Cross reference and triangulate,” she says, “on the map that I purchased this afternoon. I have made arrangements with the innkeeper for one of his private dining rooms to be put at our disposal for the next two days.” She holds up a key, tiny and delicate in her massive hand. “We shall keep our research secured.”

Mekhitar nods. “By the way,” he says, “have you got anything nicer to wear than what you've got on now?” He just has no fear. Gudrun raises an eyebrow at him. “Of course,” she says. “I have my formal robes packed away. There has been no occasion thus far to wear them. I shall don them once we are aboard your ship.” Mekhitar grins and raises a glass to her. “See, Isaac?” he says. “That wasn't so hard, now, was it?”
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

arcomniflash

Postby arcomniflash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm

"You'll have to forgive me, Mekhitar. For a very long time I only had access to one set of clothes due to....circumstances. So I lost sight of the necessity of having more than one. Even now I think that my clothes speak volumes about where I have been and what I have done. If I must, however, I will buy another set."

I nod to Kolbeinn. "Yes. Good idea. If no-one has any other plans, let's begin after dinner." With that I'll tuck into my food, eating in a methodical manner that speaks more of desiring the food for sustenance rather than savouring the taste. There's work to be done, after all.

- Isaac

Tarliman

Postby Tarliman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 am

"That's all right," Mekhitar tells you. "I had my own issues coming up with acceptable garb when I first got back. We'll take care of you." He pats your hand.

"Don't bother," Shaliko says to Mekhitar. "Isaac's only got one thing on his mind and it's not companionship."

Mekhitar gives him a bit of a frown. "I was just trying to be reassuring," he protests.

Gudrun stands up. "I will meet you in the private room," she says, and walks away. Wow, she eats fast.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

arcomniflash

Postby arcomniflash » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:42 am

I'll finish my food quickly and stand up too, wordlessly nodding to the other two and heading off after Gudrun. If the other two are following behind me I'll leave the door to the private room open so that they can come in, if not I'll close it behind me as soon as I've entered. I'll walk over to whatever table is appropriate and peer up at Gudrun. "Let's begin." I'll say quietly.

- Isaac

Tarliman

Postby Tarliman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm

There's only one table in the private room, but it's large enough to seat ten t'skrang. A few of the chairs have been swapped out for human, elven, and troll compatible furniture, and the remaining t'skrang seating has all been pushed to one end of the room. Kolbeinn is still sorting out the books and scrolls and loose parchments on the table when you arrive. Behind, Shaliko, Mekhitar, and Garsevan all hurry into the room, Garsevan closing the door as he enters. Gudrun picks up a large scroll from the table, unrolls it against the back wall of the room, revealing it to be a map, and murmurs something, waving a hand in some kind of conjuring gesture. Tiny ghostly hands emerge from the wall all around the edge of the map and grab hold of it, securing it to the wall.

"The incidents that we know of have occurred here, here, and here," she says, pointing to red marks on the map well up into the region north of House Syrtis and south of Parlainth. "These mountains and the foothills and plains to the south of them appear to be the primary haunt of the type of Horror we pursue."

Kolbeinn hands out small, battered books to everyone. "These," he says, "are adept journals. We must read them and" -- he thinks for a breath -- "index them."

"Correct," says Gudrun. "As each of you finishes with a journal, pass it to the next person. Your Disciplines will affect what you notice, so we should all read all of the journals."

"More eyes on the target," says Shaliko, nodding agreement.

And so you spend the rest of your evening, until fairly late at night, reading through the journal of an Archer from thirty years ago, and being thankful for the direct approach and spare writing style her Discipline encouraged. You're able to add a few details to the encounter her party had with one of the Horrors. Kolbeinn records the details on a sheet of parchment, keeping one page for each encounter and adding to them as each of you finds something to contribute. Shaliko is able to add a fourth red mark to the map, a little closer to Parlainth and earlier in time than the three you already had charted, but is annoyed at the lack of description in the journal. Apparently the Thief was less concerned with the Horror than with the amount of coin he was able to recover from the destroyed village.

Eventually, Gudrun calls a halt to your efforts. "It is late. We are all losing focus from fatigue. Sleep now, and we will resume tomorrow."

Off to bed you go, for a night of troubling dreams of wandering out of the forest into devastated small villages, poking through the ruins with the feeling of being watched. But then these are less troubling than the dreams you had when Baalentheron had you Marked, so you get through to morning well enough.

The next morning, are you doing anything before going to breakfast?
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

arcomniflash

Postby arcomniflash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Before breakfast I'll do a karma ritual, since I haven't had the chance to do one of those in a while, it seems. After that I'll simply head to the breakfast table wordlessly and eat quietly. There's a lot of work to be done today.

- Isaac

Tarliman

Postby Tarliman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 pm

There is indeed. Gudrun points out that any adepts or sailors up this early are probably leaving the city and won't have time to talk. You and Shaliko and Garsevan can go hit the bars and the docks and such in the afternoon. Morning is for plowing through more of the source documents. Do you have a Research skill? If so, roll it. If not, make first a WIL test, then a PER test.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

arcomniflash

Postby arcomniflash » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 pm

No research skill here, but I'll sombrely trudge through the documents - perhaps this is a skill worth developing, certainly. I get 10 on the Willpower Roll, and then 11 on the perception roll, if I may spend some karma on the perception roll (as per the circle 4 Horror Stalker traits), then I'll spend 1 point of it with which I increase my roll to 16.

- Isaac

Tarliman

Postby Tarliman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:33 pm

You manage to keep your attention from wandering, which is not easy. The journal you're currently reading is by an Illusionist, and you don't follow half of what she's saying, as she freely merges her travelogue with her musings on her Discipline and resorts to technical jargon at inopportune moments. However, you do manage to learn a little bit more about the Czlaplon. Apparently they're fiercely territorial, to the point of viciously attacking each other's constructs and surviving victims.

When you finally break for the nooning, there's another pin in the map, not a direct encounter but a sighting. Gudrun has food brought into the private room so that you can discuss your findings. She also tells you all about her meeting with the Foundation's nethermancers last night, which doesn't take long. She spent a good deal of time on useless formalities and learned very little. House V'strimon has not explored that far north, as it's in Syrtis territory, and has not bothered to accumulate much in the way of information about the area for the same reason. Gudrun doesn't say as much, but obviously she disapproves of this approach.

When food and findings are both dealt with, Gudrun and Kolbeinn go back to the journals. "You," she indicates Isaac, Garsevan, Shaliko, and Mekhitar, "should go and speak with whoever you have lined up, or at the very least see what new leads you might turn up."

"So," says Shaliko to Isaac, "you want to go with me to check out this sailor's story, or do you want to go bar-hopping with Garsevan and Mekhitar?"
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

Return to “Czlaplon Quest”