What would be a cool Fading Suns epic?

Discussion on the Fading Suns game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.

What kinds of Fading Suns epic would you like to see

Action-Adventure (“Indiana Jones”)
17%
Horror (things that go bump)
11%
Drama (family stuff)
6%
Crime/Mystery (investigations)
11%
Action-Thriller (high-stakes and fast phased)
3%
Political-Thriller (court intrigue and ambassadors)
19%
Frontier (Space Western)
14%
Warfare (military and war)
8%
Spacy (hardships in space)
11%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 36

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What would be a cool Fading Suns epic?

Postby Angelman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:42 pm

This question goes to both players and GMs of Fading Suns.

Say that we were to do an epic (or ‘campaign’) at some point, what kinds of things would you people most like to see? Let us talk themes, genres, and overall game facets of the game. (And you cannot suggest WitH:Pantheon as that’s a book we couldn’t write – only Bill Bridges could do that). What kinds of story would you like to play in/GM? I'm just being curious again :D

Use the poll if you wish :) You may chose more than one option.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Holz

Re: What would be a cool Fading Suns epic?

Postby Holz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:57 pm

The main problem for FS, is that all epics fit it!
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Angelman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 am

That's true, which is why I ask, but the question is more, what would YOU like to see the most? :p
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:38 am

It all fits but if it's a published epic it needs to show the key themes and elements of the setting that make FS what it is. This might be the next purchase for a GM after the rules so it needs to be inherently "Fading Suns". To me that's (in this order):

1. Politics/Intrigue
2. Drama
3. Action (both thriller and adventure in equal measure)

But that's my take on it and I'd stress that I think that there's room for all of the listed styles and themes in Fading Suns
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks (and you can chose more than one option by the way). Anyone else? It would be nice to have a several people weighing in on this :)
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Spam to all users? :lol:
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Hey - I really like this. I agree with Bertjammin that if you do a connected epic, it needs to hit on a lot of the traditional Fading Suns themes and provide each character type with an opportunity to shine. That means there needs to be noble duels, starships flying through an asteroid field, space pirates, and courtly intrigue.

My favorite published shard is A Road So Dark because I feel that it captures the feel of Fading Suns the best. It has a long voyage across the jump roads, church ships boarding and searching your starship, a fight across the rooftops, and a Chauki Stride.

Thus, I voted for techno-thriller (the intrigue), Indianna Jones (for the swashbuckling action), and space-y (because every adventure should have at least one starship combat)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:24 am

Holz: I'm spaming too many people on Facebook with my band-stuff lately, so I'll lay off the spam here ;)

Aurin: Thanks. I whole heartedly agree that we need more space-y stuff in FS. Not necessarily a starship combat in every adventure, but the space dimension of things should have more... um... space in FS. Also, doing 'a little something for everyone' kind of stories make much sense.
(numerous projects)

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Maybe not combats, but space related encounters. Customs inspection? Space pirate boarding? Run out of fuel and need to hit the space station for some gas? Hide behind a moon to evade a search team? Race to the jump gate before your competitors get there? Dare I say void krakens?

wryfool

Postby wryfool » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 pm

One of the main changes I make to the Fading Suns setting, when I run it, is to add an Empress. It makes zero sense that Alexius isn't married and trying to produce heirs. And all the excuses that are made in-setting (he doesn't want to be tied down, he's choosy, he's having too much fun with Salandra Decados, etc) still don't make up for the fact that his dynasty and the stability of the Known Worlds is at risk so long as he doesn't have a legitimate heir. One of the top priorities of all of his allies and advisers would be to convince him to marry and produce children.

So I suggest that the cool epic be the story of the rise of an Empress. Give the would-be GMs several would-be Empresses to choose from (or even allow a PC to be the suitor). Hell, be egalitarian and allow a male PC to become Prince-Consort to the Emperor, with a female handmaiden who is the Royal Surrogate. The epic can consist of a series of balls where the would-be Empress/Prince Consort (hereafter referred to as E/PC) must catch Alexius' eye, while the PCs run interference and try to gain the favor of Alexius' advisors. Then you have the actual announcement, followed by the engagement period and leading up to the wedding.

You can involve a lot of villainous groups who would be interested in disrupting the proceedings or gaining control over the E/PC; Antimonists, Second Era Republicans, Kurgan insurgents, and a very upset Salandra Decados. The latter because, let's face it, there's no way that the Church or Alexius' advisors is going to let a sociopathic psychic cyborg become Empress.

The best part is, that in future books, you can refer to The Royal Consort by that title, and not choose an in-canon spouse, so that a GM can choose who it is.

This epic could have it all (well, almost); fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...

Return to “Product Discussion”