Criticorum Discord

Discussion on the Fading Suns game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Criticorum Discord

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:08 am

Okay, I see a splash page and I get excited...who can blame me?

I might be being too eager here but is there any idea on, or schedule for, when the Critcorum Discord supplement (mentioned in the back of the print copy of the GM guide) will be released? Will it be a .pdf initially and then a future print run? Any news would be appreciated.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Criticorum Discord

Postby Angelman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:18 am

Hi Bertjammin,

Unfortunately, if I've understood it correctly, we're a bit queued up behind other major FASA projects at the moment. But the editing for Criticorum Discord is coming along nicely, as is the artwork. I’m as eager as you to see this done, and I hope you guys will like our anthology of themed dramas (plus some other cool bits). :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:28 am

To be honest I'm MOST interested for the "other cool bits" ;)

I don't often run published material as by the time I get around to it my existing campaign is so imbedded it's easier to pull bits out than run things "whole cloth" or adjust them to fit. I am looking forward to being able to rip out NPCs, scenes etc for my own use (plus I love the concept of the "themed dramas". Plenty of scope in FS to do a series of similar books on different themes.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:02 am

I think that's a very worthwhile use of published dramas, ripping them appart and using the bits that most appeals to you. Although I enjoy using published stories, for they offer ideas and approaches that I wouldn't necessarily have thought of myself, I always adapt and rewrite them. For me that's part of the fun of GMing :)
(numerous projects)

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:36 pm

I am also very excited for this product. I, personally, completely agree with the "game geek"'s appraisal of Fading Suns (check out his glowing reviews on youtube if you haven't). It's the best Science Fiction setting that's ever been created, but because there is such a wealth of rich material, it's unclear as to what story one should tell. Shards aid in shining light on interesting stories even more so than additional fluff.

Along the lines of shards, I'd love to see both:
- a shard focused on the church (either church PCs or PCs interacting in a deep church intrigue)
- an adventure path, not unlike done with Dungeons and Dragons or Pathfinder. Essentially, make a shard compilation that is a string of adventures that build on one another, either around a specific location or building one more complex plot

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 pm

I agree that FS is so vast and rich that it can be quite hard to tackle. Hopefully, drama anthologies like Criticorum Discord can help offer suggestions for ways to run FS stories. It would also be cool to do a grander epic at some point - anything that can inspire people to play the game :)

As for a drama focusing on the Universal Church, that would indeed be interesting. I once played around with some ideas for stories revolving around young priestlings in over their head at some seminar for representatives of various Universal Church factions. Nothing came from the idea, but doing something Church-wise would be cool. Perhaps a Name of the Rose kind of religio-political thriller.
(numerous projects)

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Well, I REALLY wanted to have this book done and printed for GenCon but it looks like we're probably pushing back a bit. We're just about done with editing though and still on scheduled for a 2014 release.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:02 am

Praise the Pancreator ;)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:30 am

We'll all be waiting for this one!

Angelman - I had the same thought regarding Name of the Rose, and even went as far as to sketch out a conversion long, long ago. But that's exactly what I'm looking for regarding the Church stuff. I'd be curious to see how everyone uses the Universal Church in their own games. It's such an interesting and important part of the setting, but it's the hardest to get across to the players, particularly those that aren't as versed in FS canon.

Regarding the story arc, I think that it would be a great way to get players into the game. The adventure path stuff that Wizards of the Coast did in the late 90's / early 2000's drew in a lot of new players. Additionally, hI think an adventure path fits better for FS than it does D&D, in my opinion.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Yes, we need to give the Universal Church more coverage. I actually have a lot of work done on various UC related books, and I'll champion to do a UC book or three in the future.

I must admit that I don't know D&D very well. I think I've played less than five sessions in my life. Could you give a short rundown of what an "adventure path" is?
(numerous projects)

Return to “Product Discussion”