Fun things to do at a VIP ball

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
angelicmadrigal

Re: Fun things to do at a VIP ball

Postby angelicmadrigal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Sir Marco
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sir Marco » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:50 am

azogouhl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby azogouhl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Given the new found support of the Empire (real or not), there should be quite a few people jockeying for their favor. This could include new potential employers of the savory and unsavory variety, perhaps even ones hired by their rivals to throw them off. If you are comfortable with running PC/NPC relationships with your group I'm sure plenty of lower birth un-landed nobles would be interested in getting their hands on a noble surely on the rise.

For more fun, make it a masquerade ball. It's hard to keep track of so many costumes and masks if people are being secretive. This could lead to hilarious cases of mistaken identity.

77IM

Postby 77IM » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:18 am

Two NPCs are having a discussion of something controversial, with opposing views, and ask a PC to weigh in.
- Does the PC equivocate or refuse to take sides? Do they take a side, and what are the political repercussions? Are they able to propose some sort of compromise? This encounter is "just talk" but it is the sort of talk that could really anger people, or make them watch the PC more closely.

-- 77IM

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:34 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Let me see…

Academy Interatta: This is a good idea. I have to think hard about it though, as my campaign is limited in scope for the time being (my cadre has one year to make ripples and build a reputation and fortune before they’re supposed to return to their patron and do some bragging).

Two al-Malik and an Imperial diplomat squabbling over mining rights: Good idea. I’ll keep that one in mind.

Freeman advocates for serf rights: Hm… Interesting concept. I think I’ll keep that for another drama.

Theft setup: Always fun!

Vau diplomat: I like this. It could end up overshadowing things, but it is good for color. Vau’s should come with a warning, “use with care!” ;)

Roast – the friendly insult game: That sounds like fun. Could even be done as Theatresport. :lol:

Brown-nosing lesser nobles/guildsmen/priests: This has a lot of potential, although the lord of my cadre is of low rank (Knight). Although, someone who wants to get cozy with milord based on his accomplishments would work, or perhaps someone just needs a friend really badly. And of course, it could all be a ploy by the pesky rivaling cadre to get our heroes into trouble :mrgreen:

Masquerade ball: Interesting option. I’ll consider that one.

Flirty lady unhappily betrothed to another: What a recipe for disaster! Consider it done :D

The Negotiator (between two arguing gentlemen): This could also lead to all sorts of trouble. Love it!

Now, is there other setting specific things it would be fun to play with? (Not Ur Ukar, they’ve had enough stage time in my campaign :roll: ). A squabble between an Istakhr branch al-Malik (which currently rules Criticorum) and a Criticorum branch al-Malik would be fun. I also plan a “speech” by an old Stigmata veteran which develops from an embarrassing botched attempt to a passionate propaganda speech bordering on Reborn Sun heresy.

More ideas?
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:03 am

The off world delicacies they shipped in had a few Hull Rats hibernating in the crates. They wake up and run amok.

Vuldrok noble visitor claims this dancing is for "women" and Challenges a player to a dance contest where there is much leaping and throwing of partners.

An engineer who considers himself an entertainer offers to astound the crowd with his latest invention. Rockem-Sockem Golem's! 3 foot tall golems that box each other. AND.. nothing horrible happens... the PC's would expect that. they are a pleasant diversion. Perhaps remote controlled so the players can "box" each other.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:08 am

All excellent suggestions, Sir Marco :)
There's much color and entertainment here!
(numerous projects)

Calvin

Postby Calvin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Sounds like a time to bring up the noble culture debate! Normally I'd suggest looking at what you've decided about local culture (al-Malik culture, Criticorum culture, regional culture). I'm not too well-read on the Fiefs books to come up with suggestions on what local delicacies will be served, if there will be entertainment and in what form. What season it is and where on Criticorum is it located? Most people would think "the Bazaar" when thinking of Criticorum, but there is no reason to set the whole thing in a quiet country estate far from the heated buzzle of the famed city or a naturally cooled underground retreat.

This, however, is an Imperial ball. Imperial culture will be on display, Imperial heros (the PCs) honoured and Imperial tact displayed. Remember who the host is, and who he wants to impress with the whole affair. Does he want to impress and awe local minor nobles with Imperial grandeur? Is he trying to forge stronger relations with the leading al-Malik of the region? The strangeness of it all can vary. One of the first parts of Dune comes to mind, where the Atreides belate how the previous Harkonnen rulers handed leftover hand washing water to the poor. Only to end his toast with pouring his glass of water on the floor. A connected QK well-versed in local cultures could ease over such tension with a sensible mix. Even local nobility is still landlocked in their home system, and the customs of outsiders might seem strange and alien.

I agree on the Vau... They don't traipse around the KW at will. I would expect behaviour like that from an Escatonic mystic though...

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 am

This is interesting, Calvin. To be honest, as the ball is supposed to be a reward for the cadre's service, I had forgotten to consider the Questing Knight employer's edge. Of course he will want to get as much out of the situation as he can, and he is likelly to have his own agendas which he will use the cadre to achieve. Very good, this will get me old noggin churning...
(numerous projects)

Calvin

Postby Calvin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:11 am

I don't know what kind of guy he is. He's more like a mission coordinator than a field operative, at least. Is he permanently stationed on Criticorum?

Return to “For Game Masters”