Pre-reflective faiths

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tadeus72
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Pre-reflective faiths

Postby Tadeus72 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:34 am

Guys,

I was just discussing whith my players, if it is possible to find a Christian bible in the sixth millenium, when I've found this entry into the Fading Suns Wiki:

http://fadingsuns.wikia.com/wiki/Remnan ... man_faiths

The wiki was a pretty good source of information until now, but this seems crazy and it does not seem to make much sense. I've searched the Church Fiefs and the Priest book but didn't find anything that is even getting close to things like this:

"The clergy, ministers, imans, mullahs, and rabbis of the Universal Church's neo-Christian, neo-Islamic, and neo-Jewish sects are equal to that of an Urth Orthodox deacon, and the neo-Islamic and neo-Jewish sects have a Chief Mullah and Chief Rabbi on Holy Terra equal to that of an Urth Orthodox bishop."

In the whole FS cannon there is only a short notion about primitive post Christian and post Moslem communities in the mountains of Istakhr. Am I missing something? Maybe it's from an old edition of FS?

Angelman

Re: Pre-reflective faiths

Postby Angelman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:19 pm

That wiki, although quite good and informative in places, is not canon. I believe (but could be mistaken) that it was set up primarily to support someone's home campaign? In any case, there is a lot of fan material there and this is certainly among it. There ARE references to the remnants of pre-reflective faiths in FS canon, but I cannot remember exactly where now. At one point in time, I was scheduled to write a couple of religion books for FS and did some research into these things, but memory fades faster than sunlight. I THINK we landed on a rational that the Urth Orthodoxy -- which perhaps surprising to some is a quite inclusive sect all things considered (if it wasn't it would be impossible to organize the Universal Faith across 40 inhabited star system) -- that the UO tolerates some pre-reflective groups if they keep to the rules and don't do missionary work <-- Something like that.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:21 pm

This discussion also reminds me of the Jewish secret society in the Duniverse that shows up all of a sudden in Chapterhouse: Dune. Fun stuff :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:09 pm

The only reference I've seen to pre-reflective religion in Fading Suns is the Children of Zuran. Some of their prophets are pre-Zaibatsu religious and pop culture figures. I don't believe that the Universal Church adopted dogma of older religions. It was meant to be theological revolution.

Return to “For Game Masters”