FS Encubrance

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Holz

FS Encubrance

Postby Holz » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi all... been away for a while.

I saw this post on Facebook and tough it could wok well in FS.
How would you do it?

To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Leviathan of Maddoc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: FS Encubrance

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:27 pm

I think for most Sci-fi games encumbrance isn't a useful function. Most of your equipment isn't very cumbersome and the gear that is can be more easily transported on vehicles and mounts. The one exception is if you know your game will involve grabbing loot, such as a supply of valuable ore or valuable technology that will only be available for a short time or with limited access, then you'll want an idea of how much the characters can carry, but that can just as easily be determined arbitrarily.

Amlost
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Amlost » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:10 pm

I generally agree with Lev. Not often useful, dice rolls, & time calculating weight of equipment. If it becomes necessary (i.e. PC abuses lack of rule or you abandon a cadre rich with newfound tech in the middle of the sands of Nowhere to trudge home with only what they can carry....) for gameplay I'd set a species baseline carry weight, modify with strength & vitality and request common sense answers when the Ukari assassin gears up with 6 pistols and two dozen blades or the Ubun Scaver says he wants to sledge the gargoyle home.

Did just give me a great idea for an NPC; DeMoley Sherpa. Great traveling companion for the next Battle Brother knight. Rolling his eyes every time the BB drops what gear he is carrying and charges into battle leaving the porter in the dust.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:19 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:16 pm

I think the more crucial equipment management for Fading Suns is just what's in your hand. Remembering that players have to drop what they're carrying to work on a think machine, or if they're taking someone captive at night, they have one hand holding the lantern and one holding their pistol, they aren't going to be able to tie them up, remembering that a character shooting a rifle can't hold onto a railing or drag a wounded partner.

Amlost

Postby Amlost » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:44 am

Danos

Postby Danos » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Our Vorox favors wielding a 2 handed sword and two one handed swords. He likes to mix it up, though. Sometimes he wields the 2 hander with both arms on one side, other times he wields it high or low.

Mere humans have to make harder choices. I tend to agree, encumbrance is something you might have to enforce with a player that is being unreasonable, but more often the real issue is whether hands are free or not. I rarely have a player try to overload with gear, and when I do, I impose combat penalties for gear getting in the way. That tends to sort the issue out right quick.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:04 pm

It's a great idea but for me a bit of overkill for a sci-fi game. Generally though I ignore encumbrance in all games.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Holz

Postby Holz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:56 pm

My players kind of abuse all the time on what they are getting.
But I'll start using Amlost tactic. You drop everything on the floor and charge to battle. =)
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:03 am

I think it is a good initiative, Holz. FS supports many different approaches to gaming, many different types of immersion. Whatever works the best for your group is the perfect way of doing it.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Return to “For Game Masters”