Fan Websites

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Danos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fan Websites

Postby Danos » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Ok, I know some folks who actually work for FASA are on the board, so I am going to put this thought out here. What web sites are there with game resources? I know there are the two official sites, FASA and HDI. I know there are still a couple of fan sites. Years ago, we had lots of fan sites with huge jumpwebs detailed, lots of alternate jumpweb maps, lost worlds, adventure ideas, and stuff like that. I used Chris Hogan's materials, I used adventures other people had sketched out and posted, I used NPCs other people had made available on their web sites. Were those sites lost due to inactivity, or cease and desist actions? I note that FASA does not have a link section to point anyone to fan content websites, as HDI once did. I would like to figure out how to post a few things that I find to be useful game resources, so they aren't lost if my personal computer and backup get trashed. Does anyone have any tips? Any guidance? Is this a legal minefield I should avoid? Is anyone even interested?

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fan Websites

Postby Angelman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:23 pm

As far as I know, there has been no cease & desist demand going on; that would, IMHO, be extremely stupid! But I suspect the various homepages have simply fallen off the radar as the years went by. It would be really nice to have a forum thread for collecting such fan sites :)

here's a few that comes to mind (but there were loads of others too):
Strontium Dog: http://www.strontiumdog.net/fadingsuns/
Official Blog (includes several canon articles): http://fadingsuns.freedonianlabs.cc/
FS Renaissance: http://web.archive.org/web/200504202105 ... sindex.htm
Holz' page: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/port ... -suns-eng/
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Danos

Postby Danos » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:54 pm

OK, that's kind of what I thought was happening. Luxifer's old site still has an archive page, but other stuff seems to be lost forever, unless a copy was posted to the Yahoo site. I might create a Wordpress page. Or possibly post some stuff on DeviantArt. I have some maps, some old stuff, and some new stuff I would like to have available for people. I'll post links when I get this off the ground.

Grummore

Postby Grummore » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:08 pm

You are not alone to have snatched things over the net from deceased web site. It would be a good things to put this material together. It would be a huge job to clean and categorize all that stuff though. Otherwise, we will fall in another of those messed personal web site (not that it's not my case) :-)

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Does anyone know what happened to the old Fading Suns Wordsmith's stuff?

Danos

Postby Danos » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm not sure what happened to the Wordsmith's stuff. Which is a shame, there was some good stuff. And one of my players submitted several short stories, good stuff from our campaigns.

I'm probably looking at another messed up personal site. I don't have the time or energy to do a huge project. I want to post some things I've written, and share things I've saved. I was contemplating using Deviant Art, or possibly a blog website. Does anyone have any advice on how to share this stuff? I don't want to use my Facebook, because then only my friends see it, I'm not opening up my security settings there. So it needs to be a site that I just use for Fading Suns. I'm not technical enough, though. I'm the kind of Reeve who favors books and handwritten files. With my limited Tech abilities, I would be right at home in a Church court.

Grummore

Postby Grummore » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Maybe we could open a fading suns google drive with a shared folder in which there would be several subsection?

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Grummore

Postby Grummore » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 am

Among many things I like to have when I run a campaign, having many generics pre-generated NPCs, some characters templates and a good numbers of pre-generated minors NPCs that are either completely created or partially (like a generic noble template, etc).

I know there are already some in the Player Guide and in CD and I thank you for that!

Something that would really make my day, someday, would be that all those GM that can submit every single generic or particular NPCs they have created here (completed or partially completed) or to some web platform for other GM to grab.

What is the most time consuming part of been GM ? ==== NPCs creation.

Unless you are a very meticulous or you lack of self-confidence, GM usually have this ability to improvise a big part of the story. The more confident you are, the less you need to be prepared usually.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:57 pm

That was one of the reasons I tried to include some sample NPC's in the GM Guide. Having a nice database of NPC's that are fully fleshed out and have backstories would be awesome though.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Return to “For Game Masters”