Empress of the Known Worlds

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Leviathan of Maddoc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Empress of the Known Worlds

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:28 pm

As I work over the political themes of the Cadiz Game I keep coming back to this jarring concept that Salandra Decados is very possible going to be the Empress. It's not the gruesome contemplation of a terrifying Decados Noble with one hand on the scepter that rules all of mankind, but more the implication for Cadiz of what happens when a Planetary Ruler with no heir leaves her post. I expect Prince Hiram would appoint a new Archduke or Archduchess for Cadiz. So there is an implication of an impending power vaccum of epic proportion. It could promote nobles from Duke to knight as one post is emptied and filled by the post below. Obviously every noble wants to put their best foot forward for this opportunity, but would there be a strong motivation for them to make their peers look bad? Would these be years of poison and backstabbing on Cadiz?

How far would local nobles be willing to go to sabotage their neighbors when an opportunity for promotion seems inevitable?

Would the Church and League be players in an opening for a Noble's fief? If they weren't in line for rulership would their actions or abstinence be valuable enough that they could leverage it for personal gain in such a power-shift?

What would the impact be to the common Yeoman of a titanic power-shift like this? Would it represent an era of remarkable opportunities? Would it be a paranoid and draconian period? Would most common folk believe that it was a time where loyalty and hard work would be rewarded?

How would nobles who weren't in line for promotion feel about the potential promotion of someone they fear or despise? Would Decados/VanGelder/Basque conspire against Decados who might be promoted because of their past behaviors?

What do you think?

Danos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Empress of the Known Worlds

Postby Danos » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:56 pm

I would run it a bit differently. If Alexius marries Salandra, their first born could be heir to both the Empire and Cadiz. Or, it could be fun if their firstborn is the Imperial heir, and their second child is designated the heir to Cadiz. Alexius would be Duke of Ravenna, but he abdicated his house title to distance himself from the Hawkwoods. That is why Alvarex is Duke of Ravenna. Nothing says Alexius has to force that distance for his child from the mother's house, though it might be politic to do so. This could lead to a very subtle and extremely tense political environment. Especially if Salandra announces that her first child will be Imperial Heir and her second child will be heir to Cadiz.

Danos

Postby Danos » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:08 pm

For a historical example of what I am talking about, see Queen Victoria of England - she was firstborn and should have also been the heir to Hannover, but Hannover had laws dictating the firstborn male is heir, so that country went to her younger brother. It led to some very interesting political issues.

Going back to your questions, I would think that on a Decados world, the atmosphere would be more fearful. Salandra is scary, but she mostly ignores the lower classes, and her seneschal (who does most of the actual work for her) is not so bad. Anyone knew is less likely to be absent so often, and thus is more likely to actively oppress the populace. Especially a Severan Decados, they are more hands-on oppressive than the Cadiz branch of the family. Also, people who are afraid to intrigue against Salandra would be more willing to try their hand against a newcomer, so I see it turning into a sort of Byzantine intrigue slug-fest, with the populace hoping for a local appointee, maybe working extra hard to support their local noble candidates, and interlopers from the Principate court trying to get appointed if and when Salandra becomes Empress. But I still think it is more fun for Salandra to refuse to step down, and to become both Empress and Duchess.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:43 pm

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Yeah, My take was that it was Hiram's purview who rules over Cadiz as the Prince of the Decados Family Empire, but Empress outranks Prince. If Empress Salandra wanted to make an issue of her rulership of Cadiz and either declare it as her Dowry to the Emperor or pick her successor, what could a price do about it? It would be awful politics for a new Empress to pull, but Salandra is better known for burring her political enemies than her great acts of diplomacy so it's credible that she might do anything once that ring is on her finger.

I think if anything it would be difficult for nobles to figure out who's ass needs kissing and it could lead to a schism in power bids.

Do you think political intrigue would be enough? Would some Decados or other viable parties be willing to economically sabotage their rivals? Could more direct attacks be contemplated?

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:54 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Would the rules of Vendetta protect you when it comes to sabotaging a rival? if you register your vendetta to sabotage your rival to gain land, couldn't Hiram or whoever appoints the Lord of the Land simply verify with the Mantis League weather your fief is a fallow swamp due to mismanagement or a cunning Decados plot? I would think if you're trying to pull the wool over the eyes on the House you need to do it secretly and without the legal protections of Vendetta.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:54 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:14 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Return to “For Game Masters”