Ranged combat fighting styles

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ranged combat fighting styles

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:59 am

Do you rule that the Ranged Combat styles of Phoenix Rifle Corp Training and Pistola can *only* be used with rifles and pistols (respectively?

Certain of the manoeuvres associated with them seem to expressly mention weapon types but some (i.e. Instinct Shot, Roll & Shoot and Run and Gun) dictate only a skill and not a specific kind of weapon.

While I could see that the fighter may be trained with a certain weapon type as befits his school, but some of the techniques would seem to be applicable to other ranged weapons.

Likewise, if the manoeuvre doesn't expressly state a sort of weapon do you allow Fencing school techniques to be used with spears, axes, maces, mist swords, wire blades etc?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Re: Ranged combat fighting styles

Postby Angelman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:13 am

My rule of thumb is that if the player can justify why s/he should be able to use the trait in an unusal way, then I allow it. 99% of the time, "yes" is a more fun option than "no" :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:38 pm

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm going to dissent.
For the purpose of theme these are discipline drills taught using a specific type of weapon, in most cases a specific model. It doesn't matter if you're a Vorox and you can pistol-fire a shotgun the way a human fires a pistol, the weapons that you were instructed on were pistol-sized, the movements you were taught were practiced with a pistol. Using a weapon with different dimensions or weight distribution is effectively your character re-inventing the wheel.

However I also have no problem with determined players inventing their own wheels.

Danos

Postby Danos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:21 pm

I'm all about finding new and interesting ways for players to spend their experience and firebirds.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:49 pm

I am on the fence. I usually like to say "yes" to crazy player ideas but I kind of agree with Leviathan on this one. However, I wouldn't be opposed to working with a player on coming up with a new style that fits their vision based on fusions of the older styles. :)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Return to “For Game Masters”