Laser STR limit

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Holz

Laser STR limit

Postby Holz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:03 pm

So... Lasers are high tech weapons... But there STR rating is 0!!! :shock:
Should it be other?
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Laser STR limit

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:08 pm

The STR rating is zero because firing a laser is basically the same as switching on a flash light :) A laser beam is nothing but concentrated light, so there is no recoil.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Roger doger!!! =)
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:45 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:10 am

Yes, of course. But this is a technical stat that ties in to the recoil rules etc. You could definitelly argue that a character with an actual STR 0 would be lame and bedridden. However, if we set the laser STR to 1, the recoil quickly builds up, which is a little silly for a "strong-beam flashligh". STR 0 is a game mechancial way of saying "no recoil". You would still need muscles to lift the ting!
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:47 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:47 am

Fair point. Perhaps this is inconsistent. I tried to design an optional recoil rule that didn't require the addition of new stats or the like in the game, but used what was already there in a new and interesting way.
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:37 pm

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Sounds like a elegant fix. Keep "actual" STR with a low cap, for non-recoil purposes.
(numerous projects)

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Makes sense to me. A bulky laser weapon still needs some strength to haul it around and aim it correctly.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Return to “For Game Masters”