Merry Lux Splendor

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Leviathan of Maddoc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Merry Lux Splendor

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Sort of out of curiosity and the spirit of the season I'm curious what we collectively know about the holiday of Lux Splendor?
What does the cannon say about the Holiday?
When you've included the festival in your games has it just been an analog for Christmas?

When we've run Lux it has been a gift-giving holiday with feasts of seasonal foods and decorations that feature candlelight and volt lights.

Bogie

Re: Merry Lux Splendor

Postby Bogie » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Interesting, I'd be curious to see if Vidar can dig up anything... :)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Danos

Postby Danos » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:07 pm

We have played it as a gift giving holiday, but with an emphasis on spiritual contemplation and thanksgiving. With different planets having different orbital periods, axial tilts, and so forth, it is really hard to make a holiday on the Urthish calendar into a seasonal holiday in the known worlds, except on a few worlds with years close to the same length as Holy Terra. I tend to designate seasonal holidays as needed for locales, and then I just note down what date I decided corresponded to what season for that location. It gets confusing really, really fast, but I try very hard not to fall into the trap of each world having only one season and one biome.

OK, I wandered off on a tangent there. Lux Splendor, I see it as the Universal Church usurping a pre-reflective holiday, so I stress that it is a spiritual, not a secular holiday. I play it as a date that nobles and other spacefarers like to be home and spend time with their families, so I enjoy making it difficult to travel around the holiday too.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:05 pm

There isn't much canonical information on the Lux Splendor festival, but I assume the original FS writers envisioned it as a mixture of various Christian Christmas traditions plus pagan winter equinox (i.e. "Sun-turn" in Scandinavia) celebrations. That would fit well with the solar imagry of the Universal Church :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bagels

Postby Bagels » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:42 pm

The only canon information on Lux Splendor I'm aware of is a paragraph on page 148 of Priests of the Celestial Sun. It's a holiday that celebrates 'The Radiance of Light' - the cleansing of the jumpgates by the Prophets spirit after his death. It's the most important church holiday and the faithful are encouraged to exchange gifts in remembrance of the Prophet's parting gift to humanity.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:48 am

The only other "semi-canonical" reference comes from Bill Bridges himself. He's posted this extract on Facebook and the HDi site in the past:

“Even in the darkest voids of space, far from the nearest orb, the Light Invisible shines, especially on this, the day when the Prophet made the unseen seen. Fear not the diminishing glow of photonic rays. Rest in the knowledge that the Inexhaustible Source burns ever on, unto even the Untrod Night, unto even the Farthest Day, unto even the Nearest Morrow. Kindle thy ship’s furnaces! Set course to the Dark Places, that thee may truly see the Light!”

Illuminatus Calafrax’s Lux Splendor address, Pentateuch
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “For Game Masters”