Age of consent/legal marriage in the Known Worlds

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Age of consent/legal marriage in the Known Worlds

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:13 am

At what age can an individual in the Phoenix Empire legally a) have sex b) get married?

I realise some House/regional law might be different but what would be the general average/accepted age? Remembering that this is a feudal, faux-medieval society rather than a progressive modern society...
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Age of consent/legal marriage in the Known Worlds

Postby Angelman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:08 am

I don't think this has ever been officially addressed, but I would say that individual faction cultures decide this. (In the truncated FS3, we had a culture skill - which covered languages, social normes and rules, and other such facets - for each faction. Fun times!). Usually, I would think that most cultures keep marriage age to somewhere around sexual maturity - in other words, if you can procreate, you're an adult; still, varriations could very well occur.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:36 pm

I would say sociologically young. Age of maturity in a culture is reflective on when society needs citizens to assume adult roles of work and contract liability. Fading Suns is a laborious culture that has recently ended a generations-long war. They would have need of young people to assume adult roles in the society. Most planets would likely have 15 or 16 year olds able to marry, join the guild, be executed for capital crimes. More conservative cultures might sitll restrict intercourse or legal drug use to 17 or 18 year olds. Places with a lot of air traffic might have completely different ages for flittler or hopper licences as those more often reflect an age of competence.

Darksyde

Postby Darksyde » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:42 pm

As a rule of thumb I would go with what ever age is socially acceptable to your group of players.

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:22 pm

I'm pretty much with Darksyde, the accuracy of having a 13 year old being forced into an arrange marriage she doesn't want isn't worth the creepiness factor of the situation for players, unless you're looking to make things creepy, then play on.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:37 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 am

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:47 am

Interesting fun fact; in mid-to-late 19th century Norway, the average marrying age for women were 28 years old. I cannot varrify this or explain the reason, it is just one of the fun facts I remember from uni. history courses 15-18 years ago. The lesson to be learnt though is that all bets are off; whatever fits your story is "realistic".
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:43 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:31 pm

The average marrying age of England in the middle ages was about 26. People tend to spend way too much time looking at life expectancy and adjusting everything accordingly instead of wondering why it was low. For the most part, the infant mortality rate was just so high that it skews the ages. Outside of nobility, most people were married in their twenties. What some might describe as typical spinsters were in their late 30s and 40s.

Just another aspect of society the original designers got horribly wrong.

Return to “For Game Masters”