Vis Shock

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
wisewolf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Vis Shock

Postby wisewolf » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:40 am

Well you have to consider Burning Fist comes from a teurgic path not centered in attacks and energy shocks. If you need to spend 1 wyrd point just to have a "viable" attack, it is a bad thing.

What happens with the fist or the cut of my sword? I am attacking with my sword but only shock damage is made. Does my sword stop just as I contact with my opponent? It makes no sense. You should make damage of your unarmed or melee attack. If you are using your melee or fight skill, you VP from that blow should add damage if your strike is a quality strike, and then the shock damage. I know the text (probably) means what you say it means, but I see it is not enough. Maybe we can have an answer by the creators of the power? It would clarify things a bit :D

Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:04 am

Yeah....we may want to poke Angelman or Bogie for this one....
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:04 am

Yeah....we may want to poke Angelman or Bogie for this one....
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:47 am

The truth is, I'm not sure how this should be read. I'm pretty sure it was me who wrote/tweaked this power, but something seems to have gotten lost in translation. In short, I probably bungled something.

As written, the power seems to indicate that you roll this power instead of a normal attack goal roll, with no other advantage than using Will instead of Dex (which would probably be advantagous for most psychics).

The FS2 version of this power added a flat +4 DMG to the enhanced attack, so I probably intended to turn this into a +VPs DMG bonus in FSR (with a cap equal to the psychic's PSI). The only problem here is that I know I tried to reduce the number of die rolls needed, so I probably intended to turn this into a one-roll power somehow. But this doesn't seem to work, so I would advice you just roll the PSI goal first and adds VP to the melee/unarmed attack's DMG.

Also, the FS2 version of this power had a nifty, Dune-ish "slip the blade under an energy shield" kind of side-effect, which seems to have been dropped from FSR for whatever reason. Again, I cannot remember why, or even if this was intentional. I SUSPECT, however, that since the last sentence ends with no punctuation, some text might have fell off at some point during editing.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:13 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:21 am

Shock quality sounds good.

And the energetic shields option from FS2 is nice also:

"a character can also attempt to slowly slip under shields and
hit the target once his fist or weapon is past the shield (suffer
–2 to Initiative, withhold victory dice and hope the damage
does not exceed the shield’s impact threshold). Once the blow
contacts a surface, the psychic can release the charge."

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:38 am

Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:22 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Return to “For Game Masters”