Vis Shock

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
wisewolf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Vis Shock

Postby wisewolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:04 am

Does this power add +1 damage dice per VP plus the normal +1 damage per VP you gain with a normal attack? If not, I don't understand the advantages of this attack. Also, at the end it says you add the extra damage to an unarmed attack, I suposse it is a typo.

This is the text of the power:

Vis Shock
(Level 4, Will + Fight or Melee, Touch, Instant,
1W) The psychic can transform her own bioelectrical
field into a high voltage discharge with a handto-
hand or melee attack (with a metal weapon).
The power’s activation roll is used in place of
a normal strike combat action. This attack adds
+1 damage effect dice per VP to the damage roll
of an unarmed attack. The maximum amount of
damage effect dice this power can add is limited
to the psychic’s Psi rating. The range or duration
on this power may not be increased

Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Vis Shock

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:44 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:03 pm

I think I have understood the power.

"This attack adds
of an unarmed attack."

I think it means the user adds the VP as damage dice to the damage roll of ANOTHER unarmed attack or melee attack. I think it is the best way to think about this power, because using 1 Wyrd just to have a different kind of combination roll to make an ordinary attack is just not a good thing.

Another way to look at this power is giving twice the VP as damage, first for the usual Victory Points of the ordinary attack, and second for the high voltage discharge. So a sword attack with 6 damage plus a roll with 4 VP will do a total of 14 damage dice.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:28 pm

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:39 pm

So, you use your energetic high voltage power while spending wyrd points and hit with your sword, but you just do the same damage as if you were not using your psiquic powers? It sounds like fault to me. But of course each GM game may vary :D

"The power’s activation roll is used in place of
a normal strike combat action. This attack adds
of an unarmed attack."

This sounds to me like you use it "in place of A normal strike combat action" not "in place of THE normal strike combat action". And THEN you add the damage to the damage roll of AN unarmed attack, not to THE unarmed attack. The wording is confusing, but it makes more sense to me that way. And you are limited by the Psi rating, it would be a really bland attack at low level Psi compared to a normal attack if we use your interpretation. But again, each GM game may vary :D

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Indeed, but it cannot be used at a low level of PSI (min PSI 4) and my point is that the typical character spec'd for PSI use is not going to have a great deal of Strength or Dexterity so while it might give them a similar attack effect to say their Hawkwood fencer friend it might well give them a far better attack effect than their normal physical stats would allow.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:08 am

Just to compare it, here we have the level 6 power for Eskatonic order in the Lords & Priests book:

"Burning Fist
(Level6, Faith +Vigor, PG, instant, 1W)
Similar to the Level 6 Brother Battle ritual, "Smiting
Hand," this rite draws forth the Holy Flame within and
turns it to tangible power to strike down the forces of
darkness. Victory dice from this rite may be added to the
priests fist or kick damage, in addition to normal combat
damage. The Eskatonics believe it is sinful to use this rite"

It is level 6 instead of level 4, but it is not limited by the Psi rating for the VP added, so it is fair enough.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:02 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:47 am

It is sinful because it is not a Psi power, but a teurgic power. It is level 6 but you don't have any limitations to the max. VP accomplished in the roll. You need to make the attack roll as I understand also in the Vish Shock we are talking about. Or add VP twice as damage. I don't know what is the effect in the mind of the creators of the book, I am just talking about balance issues and try to evade a too weak and meaningless power. Vis Craft is a hard hitting path and I don't think it is hard to imagine this power working as I am trying to tell. It makes more sense to me, and I think, to many others :roll:

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:28 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Return to “For Game Masters”