Combat Effects

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
wisewolf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Combat Effects

Postby wisewolf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:27 pm

I there, I am new to this forum. It seems like a low Fading Suns activity right now. Anyway, I am a big fan of this universe. I would like to ask, do you really enjoy the new Defense system for the Revised Edition? I prefer a system of active defense with dodge and multiple combat actions as in the previous edition. Combat actions were more interesting in my opinion.

I have developed a Combat Effects system like in Runequest 6 for Fading Suns and I would like to share it with you. You roll atack, defender rolls dodge or parry (if they select multiple actions), subtract VP, and if you retain 2+ VP, you can sacrifice 2 VP for a combat effect. Those effects are listed in the following link. (I am still thinking about a 2VP vs 3VP cost, but it is just a balance thing). You can only choose a single combat effect unless it says otherwise.

I can assure you it is a really fun and interesting system. Any comment is welcome!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Pc79 ... g%EF%BB%BF

Holz

Re: Combat Effects

Postby Holz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi there!

Will check it out! :)
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:12 am

Thanks Holz. As you can see, an effective defense can lead you to a Combat Effect too, so attack is not so overpowered 8-)

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:53 pm

I prefer the passive defense as it makes for fewer rolls and fewer calculations. Besides, in previous editions you could only dodge 1 attack. Defense in this edition applies to multiple attacks (albeit with diminishing returns).

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:22 am

In previous editions, when you dodge, you dodge all attacks received in this turn. You take a -4 which is just a -20% to your rolls.

From Second Edition Rulebook (page 177):

"Initiative does not matter when dodging — the character
simply responds to what comes at him. In addition, the
dodge applies to all attacks made against the character that
turn, unless he has aborted, in which case those attacks
that occurred before he aborted are not affected."

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:25 am

I am beware there are people liking a passive defense like in D&D. I just don't share this opinion, this is the reason I came here with this house rule. I think both editions can be mixed easily, Fading Suns with active defense and combat actions is still a fast system (and more interesting for a lot of old schoolers :roll: ).

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:46 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

wisewolf

Postby wisewolf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:37 am

That is right, different tastes! :)

Anyway, the new edition has combat actions, disarm, knock down, charge, etc.., and style combat actions. So you need to declare your stance each turn, and the combat action, and subtract penalties to roll and all those things BEFORE you know you succeed. With Combat Effects I propose, only after you know you have 2+ VP after subtract defense, you have the option to apply some Combat Effect. That is the reason it is so fluid and interesting.

Oh and I forgot it, rolling defense you can ALSO use combat effects, if your defense is effective and gained 2+ VP doing it! It becomes very interesting and realistic.

Any Runequest 6th player know this 8-)

Of course if you don't let your players to active feel like defending (rolling for defense is exciting!), then this system cannot be applied (maybe you can, but with some adjustments).

Return to “For Game Masters”