Lethality and getting started

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Darksyde
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lethality and getting started

Postby Darksyde » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 pm

Hello! I am new to Fading Suns and just recently started going through the revised rule book as I may be running a game in the future and had a couple of questions for you experienced folks.

First is, man, where to being? Is there any place with a good idea of a 'typical' fading suns game? I was surprised at how much info there is between the players book and the gms guide but it still feels a bit generic. Not a deal breaker but I am feeling a little lost as to getting a game going and wondered how you guys got things off and running.

Second is how lethal combat is. I only ask because they actually included a 'less lethal' side bar. Have you guys needed to use those rules or your own house rules to keep from losing player characters or does it run pretty smooth as is? Is it difficult to get the power level right in encounters so its not super easy but you won't kill folks in one shot?

Thanks for any input!

Angelman

Re: Lethality and getting started

Postby Angelman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:53 am

Hi, Darksyde, and welcome to the wonderful world of the Fading Suns :)

The "Less lethal" and similar sidebars are included to help GMs personalize their games; they don't necessarily reflect the game being overly deadly as is. You'll have to figure out what level of lethality you want in your game :)

As for where to begin, that can be a problem. FS is a kitchen sink setting and while there is a lot of information, we have barely scratched the surface in most places. The short answer to your question is, begin with the bits you find the most interesting. The default cadre I suppose is a Questing Knight with her cohort, blazing across the Known Worlds doing errands and enforcing the will of the Phoenix Emperor, but there are countless other possibilities beside. Many groups also starts with Pamdemonium, which has many elements of the game present, and also a WHOLE lot of problems.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:57 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Darksyde

Postby Darksyde » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:32 am

thank you for all the info! Definitely helps me work on a place to start.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:55 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Holz

Postby Holz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Also, by the target applying the VP rolled as damage it makes much more effect, since a good roll will make more damage and make it more worthwhile. Eg.If you roll 12 dice (8 from VP and 4 from weapon) you could do less damage than the weapon.

Combat speed also improves a lot!
IMHO, more lethal = faster and better!
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:55 pm

My group uses the lethal variant where gun VPs do automatic damage. Shields really make characters pretty durable when combined with the appropriate armor.

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:08 pm

If you're introducing players to Fading Suns, start with a rural setting. It often makes the high-tech a bit more startling. You can always transition your story into a more high-tech setting. I'd also suggest a game that's under the thumb of a high-ranking NPC that directs players and provides them direction. Also Fading Suns is a great setting for factions, for every person or group that wants to take the players out, have 5 that simply have conflicting goals and no interest in actually harming them.

For the lethality I'd suggest ramping down the weaponry. Not everyone has to have a flux sword or fully automatic fusion rifle. The combat system is actually stronger with weapons that are less remarkable. Also don't throw enemies at them that are packing an arsenal. 14 guys with flintlocks are much more scary than a single guy with an assault rifle and probably less expensive to hire..

Return to “For Game Masters”