Security Questions

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Leviathan of Maddoc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Security Questions

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:34 pm

I've been working the idea of Spaceport security over in my mind and I'd like to see how you all view the arrangements at a spaceport.

Lets say you're the Chancellor Sherrif of the Court of a Planetary Duke. In addition to organizing the Duke's secret police and coordinating law enforcement between his vassals you are in charge of security of the spaceport.

How do you secure a spaceport with a workforce that was likely not raised in a home with elecric light? What low tech methods can you use to ensure passengers go to customs and ships are inspected for contraband? How do you keep people from sneaking into hangers or warehouses? What can you do to foil PCs that want to sneak off planet or smuggle goods in and out?

How do you think cargo would moved through a spaceport?

How would passengers board and disembark from their trips?

Who is responsible for verifying paperwork for each?

Do Charitoeers or Engineers have fewer restrictions on their movement through spaceports?

Would staff wear non-inconagraphic identificaiton so illiterate people could check badges?

Is there a short line for Native Nobles and other persons of importance? If you're travelling to Lemenkainen to visit native Hawkwoods can they just telecom the spaceport and explain they have visitors arriving and having you waived through hours of customs, inspections, and standing in line?

How does life in a medieval spaceport work?

Holz

Re: Security Questions

Postby Holz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:16 pm

You got some great questions Leviathan!
I guess we can think the place as a normal seaport for starters. (I am terrible and using quote system, so I'll try to answer in the question order)

My guess the best way for any contraband is loyal staff and dogs (sniffers). Placing the spaceport on a outter reaches of the city/fief and making sure you have one entrance-one exit is sure to eman less chances to sneak in. That would mean that the starport needs to be walled or fenced + patroled.
PC's are a clever bunch, my guess is that you keep an eye on them. The Sherrif does not like them and keeps a tab on the all the time.
Searching for stuff on the cargo and body of people is the only way to find stuff without metal detectors.

For moving cargo you would have some cranes made of timber to move them and carts pulled by beats and/or people.
A road made out of stones or rails were the cart runs with the cargo up and down from ship to hanger/depot.

For embarking and disembarking you mean by getting aboard the vessel? Or just the normal custom area?

To ensure that papers are valid, make them run by two different officers. One at customs and another exiting the gate to the fief. Two roles for checking counterfeit papers and people.

Local Charioteers and Engineers would have an easier pass and new ones would have to register and leave a proof of not smuggling.

Not sure I got the idea on "iconographic question". Colors work fine IMHO... Red for security (*cough*red shirt*cough* ;) )yellow for cargo, blue for tech staff, etc.

Maybe if there is a local or a off world noble, they would probably give a call and the spaceport be warned. Yet they would have to go throw a more simple and easy search, like a VIP room with wine, music and the red carpet. While the staff goes to the regular customs and gets checked heads to toe - "Orders from the barony, no complaining - NEXT!".

My guess the spaceport would work only at day time. Night travel would not be advised (no landing lights) unless an emergency happens.
There would be specif day to day jobs and routines, from checking ships, cargo, landing pad and so on.

If I come with other ideas I will write them.
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:39 am

I'd agree with Holz thoughts on this one with the proviso that, as with most noble run facilities in the Known Worlds, every such spaceport will be different and very much an extension of the personality of the Noble themselves. For example I imagine a "typical" Hazat spaceport will be run like well disciplined military unit with tight security and multiple "gates" to pass. On the other hand being a "personal friend" of a Hawkwood who administers a spaceport will probably get a noble processed the fastest and with minimum of fuss.

Likewise I assume that many nobles will actually contract out the running of spaceports to the guilds - Charioteers running the Duty Free stalls and piloting services (I.e. hired local pilots shuttled up to ships in orbit and then guiding them into dock), S.O.E. running repair shops and maintaining the facilities, Muster providing stevedores and baggage handlers, Reeves providing money exchanges, tax and berth fee collection etc. But the nobles may exert control by providing overall administration and management, and may be ensuring that security is provided, or at least overseen, by House men-at-arms.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:18 am

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:27 am

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:14 pm

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:04 pm

I agree with that concept whole-heartedly. If I ever run a campaign that centers around the activity of a Spacport. The idea of culture vs practicality would be a central theme as the ruling nobles constantly try to impose Etiquette and decor that isn't compatible with Guild functions.

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Another option to consider is part of the starport facilities/customs are "outsourced" to a guild, whether it is the League or a local guild.

Return to “For Game Masters”