Fun things to do with in legal court

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fun things to do with in legal court

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:55 am

Following up on the success of the Fun things to do at a VIP ball topic, I thought I should try milking you good people for ideas again. This time I'm wondering if anyone has pulled off doing a legal drama/court show type of story in FS (or another relevant RPG)? I'm thinking about having the main character in my cadre arrested (as the player will be unavailable for gaming for a few months due to travelling), leaving the nobleman's retinue to build his case and run his legal defense. Now, although they are interesting, I'm not primarily looking for ideas on why the Keddah noble was arrested or what conspires in the prison shower, but rather ideas and tips on how to run the story and court scenes. There will be some criminal investigation on the part of the remaining cadre, and they will also likely need to build some support, find some funding, and track down character witnesses etc.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fun things to do with in legal court

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:46 am

Good idea.
(numerous projects)

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 am

When my character was up for a star council tribunal the GM made characters for all of those on the council then handed them out. The players, for that game played the various people who would judge me. They each had their own political agenda.

It was great fun. They made a LARP out of it that played for a while at the cons here.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 am

That sounds cool. The Warhammer 2nd Ed. scenario Ashes of Middenheim did a similar thing. However, in my particular case this wouldn't be as effective, as the charged character's player won't be with us - this is something we'll do while he (his character is the group leader) is away on a study abroad thing for a few months. It would be fun though :) And as an extra incentive, the players could be awarded Exp. for their regular characters based on how well they played out the accusing/judging characters.
(numerous projects)

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:30 am

ohh ooh..

So the players will be charged with finding evidence? Excellent! Get a sound bit of the "Law and Order" tv shows trademark sound when they cut scenes. hehe. then whenever the scene changes while they look for clues play it. heheeh..

Might not work for your group being as you guys might not get the Law and Order tv show.

ArmchairGamer

Postby ArmchairGamer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 am

I'd play with the differences between social classes as far as the court treats them. You could have both a noble and a freeman tried for the same thing, and see how the laws handle them differently (trial, incarceration, punishment) while the rest of the group try to spring 'em.

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 am

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 am

(numerous projects)

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:24 am

Yeah,. the "Bang Bang" between scenes. We played a game in a modern setting where one particular session was very much like th eshow. The GM would play that sound bit between the scenes and for breaks. It was fun.

What type of court is it? If there is no Reeve in the party then an NPC Reeve would step in for the defense. They could easily hand out assignments to the players.

*Get a confession out of X.

*Find this "professional" witness and get him to the court.

*Find dirt on the Jury / Judges.

the Captain

Postby the Captain » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:45 pm

That's a nice set up for a session.

But, here is a question that popped into my head. How do judges work in the known worlds? Appointed by whom? Any thoughts?

Return to “For Game Masters”