Banks in the empire are backwards...

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Madmage
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Banks in the empire are backwards...

Postby Madmage » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:51 am

So I was pondering taking a loan in a FS game and couldn't understand how silly the system works. You have to pay to deposit money with banking institutions. The reason this is silly, is that there is less incentive to do so than say if the payment took place during the withdrawal. As a bank, you want people to give you money so you can then in turn invest it or give loans out to others. By doing the opposite, it makes it so that organizations will be less likely to give regular deposits but rather wait until they have large sums to place in keeping. Further, they will have no qualms about removing money from the bank as there are no fees associated to withdrawals.

Bertjammin

Re: Banks in the empire are backwards...

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:31 am

I think you need to look at the lenders in the Empire in the context of historic (pre-20th century) banking rather than the way financial institutions work in the electronic age.
Lenders (typically Reeves or Brother Battle) will want security for any loan - that might be a piece of property, anexisiting financial investment, proof of liquidity or some such and they will most definitely insist on a legal contract concerning the terms of repayment and interest.
They will be making their money on the interest (and potentially anything they are holding as security) and in the case of interstellar organisations (I.e a Guild or religious sect) they may not expect you to pay back the lender themselves - just another "branch" as it should all balance in the end.
However woe betide the individual who reneges on one of those contracts....Muster bailiffs or Brother Battle debt collectors are not to be triffled with....
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:10 am

I'm not arguing the loan system is out of whack, but the deposit/withdrawal system is. The deposit/withdrawal system is what supports the loans, yes. Thus your prerogative is for people to keep as much money in your financial institutions as possible.

Holz

Postby Holz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:44 pm

A few years back (like 30) in order to have access a loan, you needed to show yourself as a "good payer". That way, you would get a credit (or more credit) according to how well you pay your loans.
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:28 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:16 am

Again, the Reeve benefits already by having the money in the bank. Further, it is to the Reeves' incentive for you to not withdraw your money so they have access to a large sum for longer.

In your example of the banking script, you have no benefit charging them at deposit than at withdrawal. In fact, if they are delayed or never make it to destination, the withdrawal will be delayed. The money is still accessible for them.

And major institutions, nobles and churches are more likely to be able to have their own physical treasuries to prevent theft. Further, it's more difficult to steal things like land than money so it's almost ideal for them to continually invest into infrastructure, real estate, or purchase assets if storing money away costs you money and you don't get anything in return other than some security.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:57 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:57 am

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Another book explains interest charges in the Known Worlds range from 20 to 50% (factors being if you are a member of the League, level of risk, etc).

Which I think motivates the Reeves to want to have more coin when their profit margins clearly lie on the loans side as opposed to the savings.

Return to “For Game Masters”