Planet Grail

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Narandin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Planet Grail

Postby Narandin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Just gearing up to start a new campaign with the new edition. My players elected to continue the world story I had started years ago, that began in the first edition and lasted until the second edition revised edition, centering on House Keddah and the planet Grail.

Has a map and planetary info for Grail ever been published? I have never found it in any of the books, and I ended up inventing info for it based off of the one paragraph in the First edition book, and used a map screenshot of Grail from the old Emperor of the Fading Suns video game.

I'd really love to update my game world to a more cannon Grail, if the info is out there somewhere.

Angelman

Re: Planet Grail

Postby Angelman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:46 am

Hi Narandin, and welcome to the forum :D

What little information we have on Grail comes from the one-paragraph bit in the rulebooks + some mentionings here and there (mostly Amalthean sources and the Etyri article). There was never an official map of the world, except for the EotFS one which you already use (and which is canon - an eventual FSR map of Grail will be based off of this one). So, there is probably little new info for you to play around with, but you could read up on Etyri, the Amalthean sect (Priests of the Celestial Sun & Imp.Survey 7: Church Fiefs), the planet articles in FSR GMG (some houses mention fiefs on Grail), Spies and Revolutionaries (p.63 has a little bit on how the Keddah prince Yacob chalanged the Charioteer monopoly on jumpkey production in 4591), Heretics and Outsiders (p.55 has a bit on Sathraist/Republican terrorists striking on grail), Darkness Between the Stars (as someting on a dervish prophethes on Grail), and Lord Erbian's Stellar Bestiary has some Grail critters.

Although I've listed many books here, the informatin on Grail is really quite slim indeed.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of things have you done with Grail?
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:54 am

Also, I have put 3 sample fiefs on this thread (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1294), which were originally written for use in the truncated (and what Grail is concerned slightly contra canonical) FS3. For some reason, FS3 used a different map of Grail - I have no idea why (it was only a sketch and I suspect the artist & developers weren't aware of the EotFS map at the time). If you can use any of those fief, I'd be happy to get some feedback on them :)
(numerous projects)

Narandin

Postby Narandin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:43 am

Thank you for the reply.
Most of those books I eventually bought as my original campaign continued, so I incorporated what info they had during play. In fact, the dervish rebellion of Zegai's became a major plot point. :-)
However, I did not know Heretics and Outsiders contained more Grail references, so I'll have to pick that up. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I did find a bunch of the FS3 stuff posted online, and it seems that the author saw Grail/Keddah as his pet project. His timeline extended to 5008, I believe, where a peace treaty was mysteriously signed between Mazzeri and al-Malik (I could never see the Decados ok'ing that one), which freed Keddah from it's obligation to war by extension, the Keddah became the darlings of the Imperial Court, and the intro to both the players and gamemasters guide had a Keddah protagonist.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Yes, House Keddah was our catalyst faction for FS3, and much of the plotlines and developments intended for that edition revolved around House Keddah's rice to power. There were a lot of really good ideas in all of tha; when I first joined the FS3 dev.team I was blown away by the geinousness of refreshing the setting through House Keddah - pure stroke of genius! However, not everything was done in accordance with canon, which bugged me a bit. Canon continuity has remained one of my pet projects since those days :)
(numerous projects)

Narandin

Postby Narandin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:41 pm

That explains a few things. :-)

I was pleased when I read those articles on Grail/Keddah from FS3 (even though the project had already been canceled), what with the Keddah being the focus of my long and much beloved previous campaign, though off put by the deviation from cannon (as soon as the separate continents on Grail was mentioned, I had a wtf reaction), so it's reassuring to hear that you want to keep everything canon.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Canon is king! ;)
(numerous projects)

Return to “For Game Masters”