Jumpgate everyday use

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Tupteq
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Jumpgate everyday use

Postby Tupteq » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi all, it's me again :)

This time I have a bunch of questions about jumpgates. There's an info about functionality (jump keys, jumpgate reset, active and passive jumps) and that Charioteers keep most of jump keys in their hands. But how it looks like in practice?

How merchants jump through the gates? Do they rent a key, rent a Charioteer with key or maybe wait near the gate for someone jumping to the same system and jump together (paying some fb for a ride)?
Or maybe there's Charioteer "office" (a ship) near each jumpgate that has appropriate keys and can easily set up a jump (for a fee, of course)?

There's also an option of jumping without a key, but it takes many hours of calculations using onboard computer. But can't these calculations be made on the planet, using more powerful think machines (in minutes)? Do these calculations get old or once calculated can be used forever?

Do barbarians use jump keys too? How about vau?

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Jumpgate everyday use

Postby Angelman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:52 am

Yes, Jumpgates... Back in the 90s, someone did a semi-official Q&A document where many FS concepts were discussed. I can't remember what it was called, and I don't know if it's around any more. However, the following is my perception of things Jumpgate-y.

Although a commonality exist, each Jumpgate is different, both in construction, size, appearance, orbit, and function. Basically, each one is a unique object of marvel and mystique. By mythological analogy, there are many magical swords in our myths and legends, each one different and only one is Excalibur. It is the same with Jumpgates.

When a ship nears a Jumpgate, the keyholder slots the key into the jumpengine (or a relay apparatus), which then communicates a message to the Jumpgate (using collor and sound codes if I recall correctly).

You need a key and a working jumpengine to make a jump, unless you can manage to calculate jumpcoordinates yourself (which is illegal according to Charioteer laws), or unless you can hitch a ride with someone. When the jumpgate opens, several ships (the exact number has never been specified), can jump through in unison, assuming they all have working jumpengines. Without a jumpengine, a ship (or other object) could be towed through. In all likelyhood, moving an entire fleet from one system to another requires the admiral to divide his forces into several jump-groups, each with their own jumpkey.

So, who has jumpkeys? The short answer is the Charioteers and anyone they have lent keys to. In practice however, many faciton own keys, and some factions have even purchased them from the Charioteers, although the Charioteers still claim technical ownership of keys if only on paper. Then there are rogue keys in the hands of pirates and even legitimate traders and other spacefarers - sometimes you don't want to kiss up to the local Charioteer and tell him where you're going. And then there are Philosopher Stones and the like which has the same effect as jumpkeys, and you also have the Sathraist sorcerers who can magic jumproutes open.

To acquire a jumpkey, the easiest would be to hire a Charioteer with the right sett of keys, either as a permanent member of the crew, or as a Jumpnavigator for the journey. Getting hold on your own keys as a non-Charioteer should AT LEAST be a drama in and off itself.

At a busy jumpgate, there is likely to be stationed ships representing the Universal Church, the local authority, and Charioteers Guild interests. While you wait for your turn to jump, your ship might be boarded for inspection by any of these, or other parties who can muscle it. You can always complain to your boss later if you feel tread on, but she is unlikely to go out of her way to heal your sore ego over a bad inspection that took place weeks ago, so there is little a free trader or other small fish can do to resist inspections. You COULD lock the doors and train your guns at the would be inspectors, which is a guaranteed way to insure you're life's going to be interesting from here on in.

At busy jumpgates, there will often be a queue of ships/group of ships waiting to jump. The ranking Charioteer will typically device a priority list, except that Imperial forces on official errends always goes first (its good to be the Emperor's lackey). If you want to jump with a group further up the queue, you could contact their leader and offer a bribe to hitch a ride, but they will probably demand to inspect your ship to make sure they do not aid and abet some criminals.

As you indicate, there could certainly be Charioteers who set up shop at busy Jumpgates and rent their services to key people through the gate. I like that.

Calculating jumprout cordinates yourself is very difficult, very frowned upon by the Charioteers, and it must be done on-site as a back-and-forth trial and error to coerce the jumpgate to play ball. You cannot use the same coordinates forever, as everything moves in physical space (and probably more in whatever space the jump between gates takes place). The jumpkey somehow "ties down" a sett of coordinates, so that it can be used for some time. However, due to "data drift", even jumpkeys will stop working at some point, which is when you'll crawl back to your friendly Charioteers office and try convince them that you've been a good boy and deserve to get a replacement key. (There has even been speculations that the data drift thing MIGHT be a Charioteer fabrication to ensure a monopoly on jumpkeys, although it has never been officialy stated in canon, I think. In any case, Philosopher Stones etc. with jumpkey powers never suffer "data drift").

Finally, barbarians, the Vau, and other aliens or Lost World folks all use Jumpkeys (they were invented in the First Republic/Diaspora times, and have been with us ever since). Exactly how they get their hands on working jumpkeys is unknown in canon, but presumably they have ways of manufacturing jumpkeys themselves (which would be an incentive for the Charioteers to lobby against foreign contacts). The calculation of on-the-spot jumps is probably also a common way for barbarians and the like to get around.

Did I answer all the questions here, I wonder? :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Tupteq

Postby Tupteq » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:45 pm

Tanks for the comprehensive answer :)
Also, I think I found a FAQ you mentioned: .

The information that is missing is the price. My guess in that matter is that price for the key is included in Charioteer pilot salary.
Renting a key (without a Charioteer) may be not easy for a common guy - Charioteers prefer to keep an eye on their keys, so trust is the key (high position or being a Questing Knight may help). What is the price? I think it may be as low as 10fb per jump (for low risk clients) or as high as 100fb (for rare directions like Nowhere and not very solid clients like Yeomen).

What you think?

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:38 pm

I think you'll have a very hard time renting a key without also renting the Charioteer to hold on to it. I think you are right that the price is included in the pilot salary, even if you don't actually use the pilot (you just rent an extra passenger, sort of). You basically pay the Charioteer for the service to use his keys. Perhaps large Charioteers chapterhouses keep unclaimed jumpkeys in storage and rents them out (together with a guild member to hold it) to travellers for the price of a pilot. That works for me.

And then there is, as you indicate, the matter of risk etc. As with hiring a pilot, circumstances might up the price dramatically for hiring a key-holder. Some trades might also be technically illegal under Imperial law (like flying off to a barbarian world without leave), or at least objectionable to other factions like the Universal Church, which would affect the price.

And yeah, that's the pdf I was talking about :)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:10 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:21 am

Ah, those pesky Reeves contracts... ;)
Good work, my son!
(numerous projects)

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Thu May 07, 2015 2:09 am

Even if it were an option to hire a Charioteer at the gate I can't imagine a ship burning fuel and life-support resources, let alone paying crew, to make the trip to the gate on the hopes they can secure a key there. I'm sure nobody plans to leave one system for another without a Charioteer with a jumpkey on the payroll.

Fluff suggests in a lot of cases that some factions have been able to barter for jumpkeys but I doubt this is the norm and Jumpkeys do need to be updated periodically so at best acquiring one from the Charioteers is a temporary boon.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Thu May 07, 2015 10:27 am

That's a good point, but most systems should be able to pull of radio contact between a jumpgate fleet and the main world. If you have a strong signal, a message might take 4-5 hours, so you could send an order in advance and get confirmation that there are keys available. (Radio signal Earth-Plute = c.4 hours). The local Charioteers office would probably call outlaying fleets on a regular basis, probably several times a day. Information is king, and radio is relatively cheap once you've invested in the heardwear.
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Thu May 07, 2015 9:07 pm

In my games I make the boarding frequent and if the party does not have the keys they have two options. Barter to get in a group jump or wait until there is a group jump to the destination.

If Bertjammin group depends on his GM own hand... My players are fortunate to have to find (or will they?) by themselves jumpkeys in Hira. I'll tell you guys once that happens (and avoid caliphate ships!)
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Tupteq

Postby Tupteq » Mon May 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”