The long arm of the law

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Leviathan of Maddoc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The long arm of the law

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:29 pm

How hard is it to escape arrest in Fading Suns?

As I've played things previously. There's not much in the way of forensics in most constables offices. They may collect blood evidence in case a sheriff thinks it's useful but I don't see pre-industrial thug constables dusting for fingerprints or searching for slugs that may have lodged themselves in nearby buildings. There's really not enough cameras running in the words to validate looking for footage that may have seen the crime. So for most criminal acts if there's not a credible witness to the crime they have to chase you down.

So how far do you have to run?

Lets say the PCs are hired to steal something from Franzibald Hazat, the Count of Sadarim. The scheme goes awry and the PCs have to run with the stolen goods, stealing a Guild Truck and blazing out of the castle ground across the city. Franzibald's knights mount up on 4-wheelers and give chase sure to catch the slower truck eventually:

The PCs Cross the river into the Southern Quarter of Sadarim City, ruled by Baronet Juan Carlos DeGamma Hazat, a vassal of Franzibald. Juan Carlos has his own constables but they are still technically under the direction of Franzibald's Sheriff. Do the pursuing knights turn things over the Juan Carlos's investigators to find the PCs or do they charge into the Southern Quarter and turn Juan Carlos's quarter upside-down looking for the PCs?

The PCs escape Sadarim City and enter the lands of Baroness Josephine Argento Hazat, one of Franzibald's vassals. Do Franzabald's knights halt at the border and wait for the Baroness's men to pick up pursuit or do they charge across that border with the legal enforcement powers of their Count?

The PCs escape the County of Sadarim into the neighboring County of Northern Kamen, Managed by Charioteer Consul Price. Do the knights charge across that border with the powers of a Count who holds no authority on this land? Will their livery or badge of office still grant them enough authority on their own?

If they were led by a higher ranking noble such as Franzibald's Sheriff would they have more power to cross a border?

Do you think that Nobles in good relations who share borders would grant one another some sort of lien of prosecution to allow knights or even constables to chase criminals across their borders?

Do you think there would be serious consequences for a landed noble to refuse their neighbor the right to pursue fugitives of justice into their lands? If so how bad do you think the consequences could be for upholding your sovereignty in those circumstances?

Obviously serious crimes like the murder of a ranking Noble, Clergy or Guildsman, Terrorism, Theft of a House treasure or a starship would change the rules of engagement but even then there's surely a limit. If you commit a crime that draws the ire of a planetary leader and manage to clear the jumpgate of that world before the trail of evidence catches up to you, does the planet's military fleet pursue you into the space of another Duke or Prince of the house? Would pursuing vessels be able to radio ahead to another planet ruled by the same house to arrange for your arrest when you land? What is the line that you have to cross in order for the military forces of a House, Guild or Sect to risk conflict to chase you into the territory of a different House Guild or Sect?

Bogie

Re: The long arm of the law

Postby Bogie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:33 pm

Nice question. I don't have the time right now to do this one justice (see what I did there) but I think that this is a great article for discussion so I am posting this as a reminder to myself to write a good response to this one.

Also: paging Angelman!!
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Yes, I will offer some thoughts once I've had the time to think on it (read: not this week). Short answer: It depends on where you are, really. Which world are we talking about?
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:13 am

I agree that worlds with a higher base TL would have higher tech law enforcement and that different House and Church cultures might deal with crime differently, but I think I'm looking for a more generic answer about the etiquette of sovereignty and the pursuit of criminals.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:27 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:39 am

Very good feedback on a complicated matter, Bertjammin.

One should remember that fiefs are not national sovereign states. "Right" is not something you have, but something you enforce, and in every case it will be a matter of who and how, as well as who the involved's patrons are, who their enemies are, and of course how militarily, monetarily, or socially powerful those involved are (which may or may not have anything to do with offical ranks).
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

macd21

Postby macd21 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:09 pm

Yeah, a smart crook will head somewhere the offended party is not popular. A lot then comes down to just how much the offended lord/guilder/priest cares. If it's a minor crime, like robbing or killing a peasant, then he'll probably drop it. If it's more serious he might take further action. He might send some of his men to grab the criminal anyway, hoping they can get in and out before the local authorities notice (more likely in sparsely populated wilderness or heavily populated cities). He might try to pressure the locals anyway, with threats or diplomacy. He might try to rouse the support of other lords to pressure the local authorities (though this is unlikely, unless it was a very serious matter).

A cunning lord, on the other hand, might hire independent agents (like PCs?) to go after the crook. Less likely to be recognised than his own men and he can deny involvement if things go pear-shaped.

Return to “For Game Masters”