New Sinners & Saints NPCs

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Sinners & Saints NPCs

Postby Angelman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:46 am

Holz had a good idea, let's start a sample characters topic in the vein of the old Sinners and Saints sourcebook. :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Sinners & Saints NPCs

Postby Bertjammin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:50 am

While Sinners & Saints is one of the books I owned from the early days I've lost my copy :( - can you give a brief of what format/content we are looking for? Simply an NPC profile and background as in the FSR GM book or something else?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:19 pm

See p.40+ in the FSR GMG (or the similar sample characters sections in FS2/FS1) and just copy that. The actual content depends on what the NPC in question requires, but here's a quick overview

General info
Species:
Quote:
Description:
Entourage:
Equipment:
Body:
Mind:
Spirit:
Natural Skills:
Learned Skills:
Blessings:
Curses:
Occult: PSI/Theurgy/Antinomy Urge/Hubris/Thralldom
Powers:
(i.e. list of rites etc.)
Benefices:
Affliction:
Wyrd:
Cybernetics:
Vitality:
-10/-8/-6/-4/-2/0/0/0/0/ etc.
(numerous projects)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Alright y’all! I will start this out with a Bishop NPC. Instead of trying to dream up a particularly awesome NPC, I’ve rather gone for a sample character that can be easily integrated into a game on the fly. My plan with this one is to present an interesting yet general and multipurpose bishop which can be slotted into a game as the GM requires. Note that this clerical character is a political creature of mundane sensibilities, with no interest in spending time and resources pursuing occult powers.

Helena was born a bastard of House Hazat. A career in the Universal Church was planned for her from a very early age, to serve the Hazat as a house priest. Over the decades, various family members invested favors and pulled strings to advance her career. Slowly, however, she began tilting her support fully towards her ecclesiastical allies, and when, during the Emperor Wars, the Universal Church increasingly backed Li Halan politics in the late 4980s, Helena threw her Hazat-bought political weight fully behind the Urth Orthodox cause. Her relationship with the Hazat and its allies was irrevocably damaged, and several relatives swore vendettas against the “traitorous bastardess.”

Her unwavering loyalty to the Urth Orthodoxy awarded her many promotions, including a bishopric on Malignatius. Unfortunately, she had to flee with the Li Halan forces in the early 4990s, when Malignatius was invaded by House Decados, forcing her to relocate to her current see.

A follower of the ‘White Priesthood’ school of Urth Orthodoxy, Bishop Helena is worldly and practical, and a few years ago she married a minor house baron to consolidate her local power. She birthed their first child a little over a year ago, which will probably be her only child as menopause is likely to kick in very soon.
Species: Human
Quote: “May the Empyrean Grace illuminate our paths! Now, what can I do for you, little one?”
Description: Tall woman in her 50s, with elaborately styled hair, and richly embroidered robes and exquisite accessories (paid for by temple coffers of course). Racially, she’s a dark shade of Caucasian, with angular features and confident demeanor. She has a stern maternal character, in whose presence even the proudest count would feel insecure.
Entourage: Bishopric sycophants and underlings; minor house husband; Brother Battle bodyguard
Equipment: Gas Mask*; Whisper Pin Squawker (inconspicuous ear piece & transmitter concealed in jumpway cross amulet); Silver Stinger Ring with 3 doses of Plox poison (Potency 10 vs. Endurance + Vigor , test once per minute for ten minutes, Effect -3 Dexterity); Poison Snooper*; Dagger* (DMG 4, STR 2, Size M); Dueling Energy Shield* (5/10, Hits 15)
*These items worn at all times, concealed beneath her clerical robes
Lifepath: Upbringing – Hazat Rural Estate; Apprenticeship – Urth Orthodox Cathedral; Early Career – Preacher/Pastor; Extra Stage 1 – Career Tour; Extra Stage 2 – Master Tour (with High Promotion); (Worldly Benefit – Promotion)
Body: Strength 3; Dexterity 3; Endurance 5;
Mind: Perception 7; Wits 8; Tech 3;
Spirit: Presence 8; Will 7; Faith 8;
Natural Skills: Lore (Phoenix Empire) 5; Lore (Urth Orthodox) 5; Lore (Homeworld) 3; Fight 3; Influence 7; Observe 5; Sneak 3; Throwing 3; Vigor 3
Learned Skills: Bureaucracy 4; Empathy 3; Etiquette 1; Investigate 4; Leadership 4; Melee 1; Physick 4; Self Control 3; Survival 1
Curses: Reputation – Disloyal (+1pt: -2 Presence among nobles);
Benefices: Assets – Wealthy (6pts: 10,000 annual income); Contact (1pt); Gossip Network (1pt); Language – Latin; Rank (Bishop);
Affliction: Bastard (+1); Dependent (+1pt: toddler offspring); Vendetta (+3pts: Wished dead by Hazat relatives and their allies);
Wyrd: 8
Vitality: -10/-8/-6/-4/-2/0/0/0/0/0
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Ivan was always a vassal and always followed the orders of their superiors. Of course, that as the masters died or changed, he adapted and became more effective in drawing attention to himself and his goals. After an error, it was designated as a vassal to a poor Decados noble in Grail. He is almost never at the estate, other than to get resources to make sure his enterprises works so he can gain social status once again and access to higher ranking nobles.

Species:Human
Quote: "Ah, you think you are clever? Come closer and kiss my blade then."
Description: Tall, thin and with his head shaved, eyes are deep and keen. His face has a tattoo of a Falcon
Entourage: He has at least one body guard with him all times. And he is a Grimson (Sergei class series, fully equipped and with the reflective helmet)! When at social events, he usually has half-naked slaves chained to him, mainly to shock and to cause problems.
Equipment: Dueling Energy Shield, Leather armor, Muster chains, Laser Pistol and a Falchion (scimitar)
Body: STR 6 / DEX 8 / END 6
Mind: Perception 7 / Wits 5 / Tech 3
Spirit: Presence 4 / Will 7 / Faith 3
Natural Skills: Lore - Decados 6/ Fight 4 /Influence 5 / Observe 5 / Vigor 5 (other skills not stated are lvl 3)
Learned Skills: Etiquette 1 / Investigation 1 / Torture 2 /Melee 5 / Physick 2 / Leadership 2 / Athletics 2 / Survival 1 / Warfare 1 / Knavery 3 / Energy Guns 5
Blessings:Suspicious (2 pts: +2 Perception when rivals about)
Curses:Prideful (+2 pts: –2 Will when insulted)
Benefices:Rank (Baron)/ Gossip Network (2pt)/ Contact (1pt) /Asset Good (4 pts)
Affliction:Addiction (3 pts - Selchakah)
Wyrd: 7
Vitality: -10/-8/-6/-4/-2/0/0/0/0/0/0

Notes: I hope the NPC is right, my 1st one with FSR rules!
I use Ivan as antagonist in my campaign atm... so far there is more than meets the eye.
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:48 am

(numerous projects)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:07 pm

So, I'll start a new FSR game this Boxing Week, and we're aiming for a bounty hunter troup doing episodic missions all over the Known Worlds. I have decided to pre-generate the player's characters, both to save time and to better construct dramas around them individually and as a group. I also want some unusual characters, which I think I'll be better able to create than my players, as I know the game much better then thay.

Here's the first character I've made for the game, the group boss & main bounty hunter. Others will surelly follow later. Let me know what you think.

Reeves guilders practice a variety of crafts and trades. Although the guild is primarily associated with advocacy, banking, and investors, Reeves fill other niches as well. CLIV is one such atypical Reeve, for his profession is bail agent and repo man. CLIV works for a Reeves Guild investment group, earning his income by collecting credit dues, security interest, and investment collateral on behalf of the group. Since this work frequently involves hunting down fugitive debtors, CLIV has become a skilled manhunter, and branched out into bounty hunting many years ago.
Role: Debt collector and bounty hunter
Quote: “Your debts will be settled, one way or another, for the Reeves always collect their dues.”
Description: Blending in and avoiding notice is a good survival strategy for anyone in CLIV’s trade, and he dresses in a variety of casual street-wear, smart business suit, modest white tie and tail, sturdy work-overall, and other costumes to fit into various occasions and scenes. Moreover, he is of average build and slightly below average height, and has a dark hair kept in whatever local style is the most conservative. Nothing much can be said about CLIV’s appearance, for he is a true Reeves Guild “grey face”.
Life-path: Life-path: Upbringing – City/Middle Class; Apprenticeship – Reeves Streets; Early Career – Money-Lender; Extra Stage 1 – Career Tour; Extra Stage 2 – Natal Psi; (Worldly Benefit - Rewards)
Body: Strength 3; Dexterity 7; Endurance 4;
Mind: Wits 8; Perception 8; Tech 3;
Spirit: Presence 6; Will 8; Faith 3;
Occult: Psi 3; Urge 0;
Natural Skills: FACTION Lore 3; Fight 3; HOMEWORLD Lore 3; Influence 7; Observe 7; Phoenix Empire Lore 3; Sneak 4; Throwing 3; Vigor 3;
Learned Skills: Bureaucracy 4; Empathy 4; Energy Guns 5; Etiquette 2; Gaming 1; Investigate 4; Knavery 2; Leadership 1; Self Control 2; Slug Guns 2; Streetwise 3
Wyrd: 10
Psychism: Psyche* (Intuit [Will + Empathy, Touch, Instant, 1W = Read target’s surface emotions], Emote [Presence + Influence/Knavery, Touch, Instant, 1W = Project own/artificial emotion onto target], Mindsight [Will + Empathy, Touch, Instant, 1W = Read target’s surface thoughts])
*Resisted with Will/Faith/Psi/Theurgy/etc. + Self Control
Blessings: Shrewd (2pts: +2 Wits vs. being fast-talked);
Curses: Bad Lungs (+1pt: -1 Endurance with athletic tasks); Callous (+2pts: -2 Presence in face of the meek; Greedy (+2pts: -2 Will when money involved); Mammon (+2pts: -2 Faith when money involved);
Benefices: Assets – Well-off (8pts: 5,000 annual income as a share in the investment group’s business. Bounties claimed is an added bonus. Starting cash +500fb); Cash – 1000fb starting cash; Language (Urthish, Ukarish); Passage Contract – Tramp Freighter; Rank (Associate),
Afflictions: Addiction – Basic nicotine addiction (needs at least 1 dose weekly);
Vitality: -10/-8/-6/-4/-2/0/0/0/0
Equipment: Martech Indigo Laser Rifle (Goal +1, DMG 7**, STR 0, RNG 30/80, Shots 23, Rate 2, Size XL, Laser); Martech Gold Laser Pistol (Goal +1, DMG5**, STR 0, RNG 10/20, Shots 15, Rate 2, Size S, Laser); Standard Energy Shield (Impact/Force 5/10, Hits 10); Polymer Knit armor (Prot 3, Init -2, Hard, Shock);
**DMG-2 when firing through light-scattering atmosphere
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Sounds like a nice BH!
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Here's another member of the bounty hunter group - an ex-inquisitor who finds himself in the unfortunate situation of being ordered to serve CLIV for 7 years...

Brother Pious was born Kitten-boy, a member of a rag-tag band of orphan children scraping by as best they could in the airlocks and crawlspaces of a great space station – the space habitat equivalent of street urchins. His salvation came when Kitten-boy and a few friends visited a street preacher’s tent hoping to score some alms and refreshments after the sermon. More than food and trinkets, Kitten-boy found meaning and purpose in the preacher’s words, and the priest’s anger towards secular rulers and profane technologists mirrored Kitten-boy’s own bitterness and rage. Kitten-boy found faith, and soon accompanied the preacher back to a secluded Temple Avesti monastery for seminary training. An illustrious career as an inquisitor named Pious followed, until last year when he happened to badly scorch the wrong person for the wrong reasons at the wrong time and place. The victim, an influential nobleman with powerful connections to the Urth Orthodoxy, survived but is now horribly disfigured. In a complicated series of political maneouvering, Pious’ superiors managed to save his life and even his career… sort of. Pious was banished from the Temple Avesti, deposed as an inquisition, but narrowly escaped being defrocked altogether. He is now paying his dues as the personal confessor of a Reeves guild bounty hunter, a service he must endure till he has successfully saved the guilder’s soul while remaining subservient to him (minimum time 7 years). Hopefully Pious will find plenty of oportunities to do good (by Avestite standards) deeds while assisting the guilder in his bounty hunting.
Role: Inquisitor in exile and father confessor of the cadre
Quote: “Your fires are burning low, son, but I’ve got some to spare right here.”
Description: Tall and somewhat rotund, Pious looks rather powerful for a priest. As a sign of his penance, Pious let his hair and beard grow wild, except for a small tonsure patch freshly shaved each morning. His Avestite robes have been dyed an earthy brown and all sect emblems covered by stitched on patches.
Life-path: Life-path: Upbringing – Space Habitat/Poor; Apprenticeship – Temple Avesti Monastery; Early Career – Inquisitor; Extra Stage 1 – Career Tour; Extra Stage 2 – Neophyte Theurge; (Worldly Benefits – Friends)
Body: Strength 5; Dexterity 7; Endurance 6;
Mind: Wits 3; Perception 7; Tech 4;
Spirit: Presence 4; Will 6; Faith 8;
Occult: Theurgy 3; Hubris 1;
Natural Skills: FACTION Lore 3; Fight 3; HOMEWORLD Lore 3; Influence 6; Observe 8; Phoenix Empire Lore 3; Sneak 7; Throwing 3; Vigor 4;
Learned Skills: Bureaucracy 2; Empathy 3; Energy Guns 5; Investigate 5; Melee 5; Ride 2; Self Control 4; Slug Guns 2; Streetwise 2; Survival 3; Tech Redemption 2;
Wyrd: 10
Theurgy: Knowing the False Heart (L1, Faith + Observe, G, Sensory, Prolonged, 1W = ritual VP vs. target Presence + Knavery -2 for target’s own secrets & +2 for target concealing another’s secret. 0+ VP reveals lies. 3+ VP reveals half-truths. Critical Success reveals the exact nature of the dishonesty); Scent of Evil (L2, Faith + Observe, GP, Sensory, Prolonged, 1W = 0+ VP reveals presence of supernatural evil. 1+ VP narrowed down to building. 3+ VP narrowed down to room. 5+ VP also reveals nature/type of supernatural evil. Critical Success pinpoints source exactly); The Laying on of Hands (L3, Faith + Empathy, P, Touch, Instant, 1W = Heal VP vitality, 0 VP stabilizes patient)
Blessings: Pious (+2 Presence among the sinful);
Curses: Righteous (-2 Will when judgment questioned);
Benefices: Cash – 250fb starting cash; Gossip Network – Known Worlds; Passage Contracts – Tramp Freighter; Rank (Novitiate); Language (Urthish);
Afflictions: Fallen from Grace – Expelled from the Universal Church and shunned until obligation & vow fulfilled; Obligation (Complete 7 years of obedient service to your secular master, including risking your life for him); Spacer (operates in zero-gravity & inside spacesuits without penalty); Vow (Save the soul of your secular master and his retinue);
Vitality: -10/-8/-6/-4/-2/0/0/0/0/0/0
Equipment: Avestite Heavy Clothing Robes (Prot 2d, Init -2, Soft, Shock, Fire, 10fb); Camping pack (survival gear, cooking utilities, blankets, rope, etc.); Camping Tent; Cash 15 fb; Firestarter (TL2); Kalomite Flamegun (Goal +2, DMG 5(3), STR 2, RNG 10/20, Shots 10, Rate 1, Size L, Fire, Ka-oil); Leather Jerkin with plasteel studs (Prot 5, Hard, Shock); Mace( 5d, STR 1);
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:24 pm

(I had a mad idea to do a linked set of Sample Fief, NPC and Drama seed....here we go...)

Born to a peasant family on Ravenna the young boy who was to become Provost Pelagius was always considered to be a "special" child. He was an artist, a dreamer, a ponderer, his mind never on the work he was meant to be doing. His true passion seemed to be in the worship of the Pancreator and he spent hours helping the local priest in the village chapel. But as much as he was a boon to the old minister he was a source of toil, constantly questioning, always querying the lessons of the Omega Gospels and the relevance of obscure elements of Orthodox theology. The priest suggested to Pelagius' long suffering parents that the boy could do well to enter the seminary and they (perhaps as eager as he to be rid of the boy's questions) agreed.

Pelagius blossomed in his studies but he always felt there should be more. He spent much of his time as a novitiate drawing and illustrating manuscripts and developed a passion for expression through his art. Many of his tutors found his images disconcerting in ways they couldn't explain and he gained a reputation for being "strange". While book learning was not his strength he read around topics, even sources considered to be radical if not heretical and constantly bombarded his tutors with questions and challenges. Yet after his ordination he felt incomplete. It was then that he was introduced to the Eskatonic Order. Within two months of his first conversation with an Eskatonic priest he had renounced his station in the Orthodoxy and begun walking a new path.

He wandered as he studied; talking to many students of differing outlooks and opinions, even faiths. He studied Theurgy and developed quite a gift by apprenticing himself to others and learning by doing. Her helped decorate churches and chapels with his art and took commissions to create and illustrate documents and copies of holy texts to help pay his way.

Over time he created catalogues of local folklore, seeking truth in the words that had been handed down aurally for centuries. He wrote them first for his own use but he copied some of the compilations, along with his notes about their meaning and relevance, for some of his Eskatonic friends, who then circulated them further. In doing so as his notoriety spread he started to gain a group of disciples.

One subject began to consume him; Dro and Madro, the twin gas giants of the Ravenna system. The local myths attributed them supernatural influence and they were often referred to as "The Eyes of Azzurayelos". They filled his dreams and waking thoughts, were they harmless creations of the Pancreator or portents of sinister malevolence. That drive to know led him to seek out a means to study them in close proximity, and thus the founding of The Retreat of St Deimos. The initial mission to found the Retreat was funded by a huge mural Pelagius painted for the Orthodox Cathedral in Suryada on Ravenna. To this day some of those who see it swear that there is something not quite normal.

Physically the provost is a thin and frail man who looks much older than his years. He has wide, dark eyes and wispy grey hair and beard that reach to the floor. He suffers from some malaise or disease that makes his hands shake constantly, depriving him of his ability to create the great works of art he once composed. He wears the simple brown robes common for most Eskatonic clergy, topped with a black tabard bearing the sigil of the Eskatonic Order. He speaks rapidly and energetically but often cuts himself short as if he was about to say something he should not. He is not mad or insane but he is definitely very eccentric and odd. His followers love him and he leads them more out of respect and tradition than any great desire to be in charge. He considers it his ultimate responsibility to guard any secret knowledge discovered by the clerics in the Retreat and while he loves to meet new people and is at heart warm and kind he views everyone with a modicum of suspicion and always appears to be holding back *something*.

Body: Strength 4 Dexterity 5 Endurance 7
Mind: Wits 8 Perception 9 Technology 3
Spirit: Presence 7 Will 8 Faith 8
Occult: Theurge 5 Hubris 1
Vitality -10/-8/-6/-4/-2/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0
Initiative 13
Wyrd 12
Natural Skills:
Phoenix Empire Lore 2, Faction Lore (Eskatonic) 7, Fight 2, Influence 7, Observe 8, Planetary Lore (Ravenna) 3, Sneak 2, Throwing 2, Vigor 4
Learned Skills:
Bureaucracy 5, Investigation 8, Physick 4, Beastcraft 3, Arts (Painting) 6, Arts (Calligraphy) 8, Art (Illumination) 7, Performance (Storytelling) 7, Self Control 6, Survival 5, Social Science 7, Empathy 6, Ettiquette 3, Knavery 4, Leadership 6
Blessings: Gracious, Suspicious, Keen ears
Curses: Secretive, Shaky Hands
Rituals: The Prophet's Holy Blessing, Laying on of Hands, Celestial Alignment, Divine Revelation, Rending the Veil of Unreason
Languages: Urthish, Latin
Benefices: Retinue (Eskatonic brothers), Vestments, Ordained (8pts) Fief (The Retreat)
Equipment: Simple Robes, charms and Jumpgate cross, scribbled notes and the tract or treatise he is currently reading.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “For Game Masters”