Seasoned Phoenix Knight - NPC ideas please!

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Seasoned Phoenix Knight - NPC ideas please!

Postby Bertjammin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:25 am

I need an NPC Phoenix Knight to act as a sort of mentor/advisor to our Player Character Phoenix Knight. Sort of a Qui Gon to his Obi-Wan.

I could just try to replicate Qui Gon and, now that my mind has lodged that thought, I'm finding it hard to step away from it and do something frankly a bit more interesting. ;)

Anyone got any suggestions? It needs to be someone who has been a knight for some time ( possibly since the inception of the Order or shortly there after) and would be well respected amongst his fellow knights, if not amongst the wider worlds. He'd also need a decent reason to be seen in Hawkwood space (as that is where the game is currently set).

Any suggestions or ideas welcomed.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Re: Seasoned Phoenix Knight - NPC ideas please!

Postby Angelman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:46 am

S/he could be of Hawkwood stock, a 'turncoat' Hawkwood who went with Alexius when he severed his ties with his old house. This would give the QK relations and friends (and enemies?) back home in Hawkwood Space. What I like to do with imperial personnel is to make them fanatical converts who regards Alexius as a rock star messiah, all starry-eyed and giddy over the Emperor. For some reason, this strikes a chord in me and I love to play this up. I once had a QK who refused to wear any jewelry except firebird coins on strings etc., displaying the rising phoenix and Alexius' profile on alternate sides. This drove home the 'Emperor-obsessed' knight rather well. (Come to think about it, that motif probably shows up in Criticorum Discord... I can't remember what I wrote where ;) ). Making him/her a veteran of the Siege of Sylan/Miracle of Sylan (i.e. the Stigmata battle in which Alexius came and saved the day), would grant the character much cultural capital among soldier types.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:48 pm

The knight can also be from a minor house, and gained notoriety in the Siege of Jericho (and survived). He is loyal to the Emperor, but has nightmares of all the horror he saw on the Siege.

You also make a rival knight in the war, that he became so impressed on his defeat, he turned "face" and became one of Alexius's biggest supporters and at the same time, his critic, showing and thinking on different ways.

Hope it helps! :D
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Amlost

Postby Amlost » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:17 am

I would argue that House does not matter, to an extent. All nobles in the Alexius's forces, the Regency's employ, and those in allied houses at the time of the Emperors ascension had ample opportunity / reason to jump to the new emperors arms.

The Hazat knight whose service as a Capitan in the Regency Navy dates back to the days of Regent Theodro Craftia Castenda de Sutek whose long service with little recognition led to his hope of Alexius's praise and reward.

The Hawkwood bastard who flocked to the Emperors arms early in the Emperor wars but was emotionally destroyed at the Battle of Sylan. Assigned to a posting as a Capitan on Nowhere he survived the last years of the wars in relative peace.

The Li Halon Attendant of the Palace appointed by Regent Samitra Li Halan, whose service was never terminated in the confusing wake of the Regents assassination. Once a spy for her house now a double agent for the Regency and the Jingcha.

The Decados Counts son; abandoned on the battlefields of Criticorum by his family; bows to the glory of the new Emperor.

The al-Malik allied knight, former Commodore who witnessed the aftermath / desolation of the Battle of Jericho and now wishes for war no longer, clinging to the Emperors promises of peace. Part poet.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:25 am

I agree that House is just a factor in any characters background and personality, and never meant to draw the focus to that.

I'm looking for suggestions for an overall "veteran mentor" character, not just their House.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:34 am

Count Kenji Akayama Li Hilan, known as the Leopard of Malignatius. Renowned swordsman and General of Li Halan forces, legendary for his tactics during the siege of Malignatius, saving countless civilian lives. Lost his only son during one of the battles and went into seclusion soon after (with all his lands forfeit to the Decados after the Emperor Wars). After a few years of heavy alcoholism in the darkest alleys of the known worlds, Kenji received a vision from the Pancreator. He cleaned up his ways, assumed a fake identity as an unimportant Li Hilan knight, and joined the questing Knights with renewed purpose. He does his best to keep his true identity secret but Kenji is well known on Li Hilan holdings and could be recognized if not careful.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:49 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Return to “For Game Masters”