Launching a non-lander hulled ship

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Launching a non-lander hulled ship

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:43 am

Ok - say you have a Void or Atmosphere Hull starship on a planet's surface (perhaps it had crashed, was manufactured/repaired there, whatever...), how do you get it into space?

Is it just a "simple" task of kicking the engines up to full acceleration and breaking free of the gravity well? - mechanically what for sort of task difficulty/VPs would you call for? If that is possible why can't Atmosphere class hulls land (and take off again)?

Do the ships need "boosters" like the shuttle? How much would they cost? Do you need a full launch pad rigged up, like the Saturn series rockets?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Launching a non-lander hulled ship

Postby Angelman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:18 pm

This is just guesswork as such questions have (as far as I know) never before been asked, but... I would say boosters. Any ship COULD be lifted off a planet, although ships not built for the purpose would be a lot harder & more costly to get off of the ground. (A related problem would be actually entering a planet's gravity and atmosphere, which might tear a Void ship apart). So yeah, I would say a very complicated booster project, or even a dismantling of the ship into half-a-dozen or som more managable pieces, which are then transported into space for reassembling.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Basically, this would be analogous to assembling ISS except that all the moduls were already finished.
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Complicated for Void hulls less so for Atmosphere hulls perhaps?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Holz

Postby Holz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:44 pm

I believe that void ships are built in space, with all the materials being launched from the planet to the "dry dock" in orbit. Any void ship in land (after a crash?) has to be chopped down and reassembled in space.

Must be very expensive to send lots of stuff to send the ship/materials to be built later on.
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:40 pm

In the specific case I have in mind it's an Atmosphere hulled ship that has crash landed rather than a Void hull.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:15 am

Getting a landet atmosphere starship into space would be analogous to lifting a modern submarine or a Boing 747 into space. It is possible, but it is quite hard and very costly. It helps if you have good tech, competent Engineers, and deep pockets.

That said though, in the end it is exactly as difficult as you need it to be for your story to work.
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:07 am

I'm thinking of presenting they player character engineer with three options:

* Stripping/breaking down the ship, organise transport into orbit and reassemble there.
* Get it to a spaceport as it is and use facilities there to launch it (possibly boosters or a big mass driver/railgun assembly....)
* Try to build a launch site where it is (costly but more private)

Of course they will also have the local hordes of Husks to deal with however they chose to recover the ship...
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Holz

Postby Holz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:48 pm

Sounds like 3 great ideas!
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:27 am

I know this is an old one but I figured that I would chime in.

Void: This is the hardest one as most void class ships that crashed or were forced into an atmosphere would probably be destroyed or rendered mostly inoperable. If enough of the ship survived to be recoverable it would probably have to be parted out and reassembled in an orbital facility.

Atmosphere: The major distinction in an atmosphere hull vs. lander hull is that most ships labeled as atmosphere are the larger ships. In my mind the distinction here is that the ships are too large to achieve / break orbit without assistance. They would need boosters, additional anti-grav, etc. They probably also don't have dedicated landing gear. These ships could probably land on planets with special landing facilities designed for the ship and possible attachable/detachable pods to hardpoints for assisted boosters.

Basically you had it covered but I felt like chiming in since I am working on spaceships right now.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Return to “For Game Masters”