Husks

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Husks

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:48 am

One of my players has had a clear out of old miniatures and gave me a bag full of generic modern/peasant zombie miniatures....it would be a crying shame not to use them to run a Husk based scenario this Hallowe'en...

But I've never featured Husks in a Fading Suns game before and I wondered if anyone had any cool examples of using them in game, specifically if it's something a little different.

(I'd stress that I'm not going for a slash-fest TPK horror scenario....this will be a part of our ongoing campaign, just a "seasonal" interlude)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Husks

Postby Angelman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:56 am

As long as you come up with a cool and interesting context for the husk infestation, the players will probably love it. You could have a go at the "Dark Liner" drama from Into the Dark - that one is rather cool, and you shouldn't have too much trouble finishing it in one session.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:10 am

Great idea! You can work it into your campaign theme by making it part of the war effort. Perhaps one of the local nobles uncovered a plague bomb of some sort and then tests it on a remote village... Unfortunately for the PCs, they are on their way there to unload their new gene locks.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:51 am

Thanks Aurin - (I love it that you know my campaign so well :) )

The thing is that when we get back to playing next week (after the current hiatus) there's a big twist on the cards...so the Husk scenario will need to fit with that. But what you are suggesting could still form the basis of that. I like it :)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:56 pm

Maybe the noble has a lab, and he is either (1) trying to revive lost soldiers to reuse in the war effort, making husk soldiers or (2) he is mad scientist-ing in the lab to get a plague bomb ready!

Both options allow the pcs to run into only a handful of husks rather than a non stop zombie extravaganza

Holz

Postby Holz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Or you can always call your friendly Antinomist to raise an army and march towards the PC's.

Also, it could be a place where the peasants are so poor and in bad shape that the "disease" just takes over.

And you can always make the husks "intelligent", like using guns, grenades or pulling the log to break in the castle. =P
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bearman

Postby Bearman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:49 am

How about having a Husk infestation in a locality where they're also stricken with leprosy? That would make discerning the Husk from the sick tricky and could raise some moral issues if they shoot a desperate leper who runs towards them in need of help?

Also Husks don't lose their minds during the first week of infestation so the option of intelligent Husks hiding amongst non-infested sick and then get the jump on the players might work as well?

Also they could use their new found strength to their advantage or use the fact that they feel no pain.

How about a newly infected Husk with an intact mind and yet no obvious signs of infestation (perhaps even the Amalthean priest who was trying to help the populace?) who stabs himself in the leg and asks the players for help getting inside his home where he keeps his bandages and lancets. Perfect way to trick the good guys to lower their guard - and their weapons - long enough to let the 8 other Husks hiding in the priests home get the drop on the players?

Also I'll second the "Dark Liner" option mentioned by Sir Angelman above. It's a nice and gloomy adventure and can easily be incorporated into an ongoing campaign.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm currently thinking that the party may come across a "deserted" village in their travels (similar to Aurin's original suggestion) but find that the inhabitants have been turned to Husks. I'm toying with the idea of if a player gets "infected" letting them carry on playing their PC while they slowly turn (depending on the player really). But that may work similarly to Bearman's suggestion.

As for the cause of the infestation I may leave it unexplained. Do you think that would work (adding to the mystery of events) or does it deprive the players of a sense of closure?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Holz

Postby Holz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:53 pm

You can always add more mystery. In my campaign several of the things happening is actually a NPC who is scouting the PC´s. How they react with this? And that?

But of course, your game, your ideas. If you feel that they will feel unanswered, keep the notes close by to give the closure.

Another idea on Husks...
I believe Angus wrote in his blog once of a husk planet...
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:19 pm

I'd say have the reason for the husks known to you, and you can let the pcs uncover it if they are feeling unfulfilled.

Yes, Angus did. The planet is Draxus, which is mentioned a couple of times in Fading Suns canon. I believe its first mention is in the Criticorum section of the almalik imperial survey.

Return to “For Game Masters”