Creating Tech Items

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Holz

Creating Tech Items

Postby Holz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Howdy all!

I was GMing this friday and one of my players wanted to creator a "Smellor" (an item that can detect things by smell). I said that would be hard, but he said he could use some of the Think Machines to make it.
He also complained of the lack of depth on engineering (he plays too much GURPS IHMO - Burn infidel!) on making a resolution on creating the item.

Too my understanding I must set the VP's to create such an item. And I am aware that in a world like FS it is almost impossible for he to assemble such an item and if he does it will be the size of a 747 jumbo plane. And he'll burn at the 1st inquisition for creating a fake nose.

I need sugestion on how to deal with this! :)
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Creating Tech Items

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:08 am

I would say that it's not impossible, just difficult. Especially as he might know the theory (such "sniffers" are possible currently so arguably TL5-7 depending on complexity) - the issue will be a) finding components and materials he needs b) the actual "doing" (like you say a VP total that he would accrue over time/a number of rolls. Possibly VP 20-25?) c) keeping it secret from prying eyes, not just the priesthood but also jealous guilders.

I'd say let him do it (player characters should be the ones who push the envelope and do different stuff) but make an adventure of it; sourcing materials, finding a suitable workshop etc. It doesn't have to be a full session but make it a part of what the character is doing.

Also if the invention is being done within the auspice of the Guild he will have a certain protection from the church. It's my reading of things that invention is permitted but they can't go changing or imitating the Pancreators creation. So a "Sniffer box" would be ok but advanced olfactory cybernetics, and intelligent Smelling Think Machine or a "long nosed golem" (in imitation of the sacred human form) would bring suspicion from the Avestites at least...

But then again they've got to find him & his work.
Last edited by Bertjammin on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:15 am

What Bartjammin said. Make it into a story and go for it!

What you need, however is to have a Tech characteristic AND appropriate Science skill at 2 ranks above the TL of the item to create it, which might be a problem.

For inspiration, there's a Poison Snooper in the FSR PG stuff chapter :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:17 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:19 am

When I wrote the stuff chapter(s), I tried to cram as many bits as I could from my favorite SciFi franchises into it. So yeah, there's a couple of Dune things therein, and also a few Blade Runner bits if you know where to look ;)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys!
I´ll put them to good work!

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:07 am

Also the inquisition isn't pulling out the burners for an Engineer with a machine that can tell the difference between a rose and a cowpie. Invention sets off the alarms and if the church hears about and engineer that's looking for exotic parts there might be an investigation but once a tech savvy priest has a look at what's being built and has a few calm questions answered they won't do anything about it. Engineers are entitled to the Privilege of Martyrs specially so a smellor can be invented if need be. Granted if your inventor finds out that the inquisition has asked several people where his workshop is and are staking out his home and he does something stupid, like run... flameguns.

Holz

Postby Holz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Hum... thanks for the update and ideas Leviathan!

Return to “For Game Masters”