(slight) preview of possible new traits

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bogie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: (slight) preview of possible new traits

Postby Bogie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:42 am

That's quite a combo. Granted at a hefty character focus is involved in doing it.

We should be clear on what we mean by action though. So for energize we'll have to explicitly state that this is in addition to things you can spend Wyrd on during a round, thus negating things like re-rolling or Tapping the Spirit.

However, I would like (if possible) to test it as a Stance that costs 1W to activate for the round and see if that is too powerful. My thinking is that I would like to keep the Wyrd expenditures for things like re-rolling and Spirit boosts as something special.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:50 am

Hence my question "Action" is a defined term in the game so we have to be careful in it's use. Would you suggest it as an "additional" stance i.e. you could be in a psychic stance, a fighting stance and a regular stance simultaneously? Or that the Psychic Stance replaces the Fighting Stance?

I'm happy to test either or both with my group.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:59 am

Since the buy-in to get these combos are high, I don't think this is too powerful. It is not as powerful as say... buying an autofeed rifle, upgraded to master-craftsmanship, equipped with laser sight, and loaded with sunder slugs.... or any cybernetics combo.

But yes, we need to be clear language-wise. Perhaps we need at term for Wyrd use? "Weirding Action" or something? (yes, I am shamelessly trying to Dunify FS! :D ).

In any case, playtesting is essential.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:08 am

In my head I quite like the idea of it being a "psychic stance" (method/kata/discipline whatever term) that stacks on top of a Fighting Stance and Generic Combat Stance but I can see that such things could fit into a wider set of psychic/theurgic/occult "Wyrd ways" (reclaiming from the Dunification :P ) that can be triggered with Wyrd expenditure.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:27 pm

I was thinking of replacing the Fighting stance, but a Psychic Stance on top of the Fighting Stance would work as well.

We would definitely need to think of some options for Theurgy in the future as Psychism could quickly become crazy. You do bring up a good point Vidar, the guns and stuff become quite powerful as well with options stacked on them, as well as cybernetics.

Basically it is a crazy world of one-hit kills if people aren't careful. Although that is kind of what I was aiming for with the system. A mechanical way of making conflict meaningful. In real life, there are consequences to battle and in a game driven by the character's passions I thought we should model those consequences as well. A character may have Adepts Robes and a battle rifle, but they still aren't invincible. They could fight mobs of unarmed serfs and remain untouched but they are not immune to reprisal or consequences - in or out of battle. There is always someone out there with a can opener. :)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Exactly.
Thus far, PSI styles are more game mechancis powerful than spiritual pacts (perhaps with the exception of the Blood Witchery pact which haven't been leaked here yet), but when I get around to doing some Saint Pacts for pious characters in some upcoming Universal Church book (although that will probably not happen for a few years yet as there are loads of other books waiting in line), we will probably see things leveling out more. That said, I kind of like PSI and Antinomy being powerful and badass - a story is only as good as its bad guys, so giving bad-guys power options are good.
(numerous projects)

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Seems interesting to me, only because it brings some interesting fluff to the forefront (like the Li Halan's past).

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:38 pm

(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:40 am

It occurs to me that in order to stop a single "discipline" (Psi/Theurgy/Antimony) outclassing the others you could make some of these add ons generic. Take Psychic Warrior - that could easily be Blessed or Holy (or Unholy...) Warrior by swapping out Psi for the alternate characteristic.

Obviously I"m not suggesting doing this with everything (e.g. the Compact above is tied to setting and background specifics and rightly so) but it might help prevent one occult area over shadowing another (and gives the Theurigic practitioners some love :) )
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:46 am

That's a good point. I'll certainly consider this! I intended to write "special styles" for theurgy as well (mostly in the form of Spiritual Pacts with saints and empyrean beings), but this was a smooth application.
(numerous projects)

Return to “For Game Masters”