(slight) preview of possible new traits

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Holz

Re: (slight) preview of possible new traits

Postby Holz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:29 pm

I was thinking, if the Psi warrior is really powerful, must take careful that we don´t end with a Total Party Killer (TPK).

I guess, you should spend more wyrd to become powerful for just a few minutes (if not seconds).
Did anyone read Mistborn from Brandon Sanderson? (great book btw :geek: )
(might have spoilers)-> In the book "magic" is based on "burning" metals that you drink, but they are consumed. So you need to do things fast (like in 5 minutes or less) depending on the metal. If they don´t, they might die of metal poisoning!

The warrior/dervishe/psi can be a badass, but he needs one thing to be the badass and that is Wyrd.
My point is, I don´t want to give players a character that will rip a BB in half, storm the castle and save the princess with it being too easy. I want them to plan when to do stuff.
Other than Wyrd, the character can have a huge backlash on their stigma. Making it weak or more suceptible to certain things his stigma gives him, like hangover feelings, nausea, cramps, muscle pain, you name it.

Sorry for spamming. :lol:
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Angelman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:01 am

Actually, I am not sure the Psychic Warrior is too powerful. The cost to 'get there' is really quite high, and your average psychic will have 4-6Wyrd to play around with - perhaps 8-9 if he's really powerful. With Wyrd recovery being quite slow, Wyrd conservation will be a major issue, requiering great planning. If you compare your high-cost Psychic Warrior to a run-of-the-mill soldier with a cool gun, the gun weilder is still going to kick arse. That said, we could always do more optional rules sidebars to suggest ways in which to adapt the power levels.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 am

I agree - I think that fuelling Psychic Warrior with Wyrd points balances it well as it becomes a "resource management" issue for the player. Hopefully we'll see how it works when we play on Wednesday.

I think that the slow recovery of Wyrd took all my players by surprise.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:26 am

Yes, I had forgotten about that. I think we slowed down Wyrd recovery in FSR, didn't we? I like that :)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:00 am

Not got the books to hand (for once.....) but I *think* it's 1 point per night of rest (lately the PCs have been pulling "all nighters... bwah ha ha ha...), regaining some via meditation (based 1 for 1 on VP IIRC) and then special gains through occult or relic artefacts and ceremonies.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:51 am

Yeah, that's it. In FS2 it was 1 Wyrd per hour of sleep, but now it is per full 8 hours. That dramatically changes the dynamic of occultism, allowing us to explore greater powers and more versatile uses, while preventing occultism becoming overpowered. I think it makes occultism a lot more interesting as instead!
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:23 am

I'm finding that it also tempers the eagerness of non-occultists to take re-rolls. There was more than one occasion in our last session when a player kept a failing dice roll after um'ing & ah'ing over whether to spend a Wyrd.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:04 pm

If anything, I think it might restrict Occult use overmuch, although I think even that might promote more interesting play as, a) it makes meditation (Faith/Will + Self Control to recover VP Wyrd) more important, and b) encourages astological/religious events in occult stories. (In FS2, you might have asked, "why should I botter chasign religious events or calculating astrological events when I can just sleep for an hour to gain the same benefit?". Incidently, it makes Eskatonics more powerful theurgists than most, as they can use Astrological Events to charge their Wyrd in addition to Religious Events. Come to think about it, I think I shal modify the Eskatonic rite Celestical Alignment so that the can foresee astrological events, granting them one sure AV in the next week on an ordinary success and an immediate AV on a critical success.
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Hum... that changes the picture.
I will adapt that in m FS2 table... as I slowly move to FSR!
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Return to “For Game Masters”