The Austram War

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Austram War

Postby Bertjammin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 am

I'm trying to visualize the Austram islands war (on the planet Ravenna) from the limited section presented on it in the GM book (and Imperial Survey: Hawkwood Fiefs). I have alluded to it as a backdrop in my games but my players have shown an interest in it and I figure that it would be easy to draw them into it. Therefore I want to make it a unique conflict but in keeping with the canon and the tone and themes of the overall setting.

What do we know so far? Well the previous duke died in 4998 so that's the earliest point at which the war began. Given that the information in the GM's guide is dated at 5002 that means up to five years of conflict during which 25,000 people have died so far.

The planetary map of Ravenna seems to indicate that the front line of the war is the stretch of sea between the two islands.

The eastern island (supported by the our murdered Baron in our current storyline) is run by Countess Cassandra Justinian Hawkwood (possibly a relation of both our Player Character Hawkwood and Justinian). She is an artist and scientist, not a military leader and lacks both Orthodox Church support and is the poorer of the two islands. While her people are generally very loyal, her greatest external support comes from the Trusnikrons of Follari (so perhaps she might field beast based cavalry such as Urroc airborne knights and "beast master" units). It's noted that there is a naval base on the northern coast of and that her island is also the location of a Deep Core city run by the Muster Guild. Therefore she may have access to not only a wet navy but also Guild mercenaries (but the coffers may not support them for long, unless there is some sort of "non-financial" deal worked out). While the Orthodoxy doesn't favour the Countess the healers sect, Sanctuary Aeon have interests on the island after supporting and assisting in the various natural disasters in recent years.

On the other hand the Western island is ruled by Count Otto - a veteran of the Emperor war and outspoken military strategist. The island can rely on better financial wealth and a wider base of support outside of the islands themselves. Due to his outspoken piety (and significant investment in local church buildings...) the Count has the support of the local Orthodoxy and it is very possible that they may mobilize forces in support of him, and his claim of sovereignty.

So, what form does this war take? The map suggests a naval conflict but the death toll seems almost two high. Given average naval crews (based on World War one battleships, which I figure is about the right tech level); destroyers had crews <100 with cruisers in the 2-300 range. Ships of that era were rarely lost with all hands which means hitting the 25K death toll seems hard especially as I can't see that either island would be able to maintain the loss of that many vessels (and manpower) financially, especially as the islands still seem to maintain some form of order, there've not been completely militarized and turned to the war effort (there's mention of the forests of the West and noble hunting parties along with the land reforms and public opinion in the East. However could that go to explain why it's become such a protracted conflict? They two islands are in a slow and drawn out war of attrition? But then how come there's such a "senseless" high body count?

One idea I had could be that the front line on the map is actually two fronts; troops have landed and established beachheads on each of the opposite shores, with the ocean between them a watery no man's land of sorties, patrols and skirmish encounters. The issue then would be supply lines for the entrenched beach heads (which has echoes of Gallipoli campaign in WW1).

Anyhow I'd appreciate any thoughts on making sense of any of that rambling. :)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Austram War

Postby Angelman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:12 am

There must be repeated land-falls on both sides of the strait, I think. It seems unlikely that the Austram War is exclusively naval, as you indicates the death toll is way too high for that. There was also a mention of sabotage of dams and such, and a great number of the casualties could therefore be civilians deliberatly drowned. The war could also be more old fashion and "gentlemanly", with large armies facing off neathly on the battle field in Napoleonic fashion (which would acount for a high casualty among soldiers). It is also interesting that the war has the potential of drawin both Alexius and Alvarex into the conflict - now there's an escalation!
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:47 am

Yeah - I'm kind of thinking that preventing the MASSIVE potential escalation (or possibly profiting from it...) could be the focus of the game for a while.

I hadn't presumed that the sabotage on the Eastern Isle was related to the war - I'd read that as being connected to the Muster's reopening of the deep core city and possible objections to that. I see your point though.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I could definitely an entrenched, almost ritualized, conflict with a mix of guerrilla warfare and overseas skirmishes. Also, unlike in space combat where ships are rare and often used as prizes, the wet navy would probably have a mix of these grand old ships that serve as prizes as well as easily accessed replacements from the guilds which could lead to a much greater loss of life at sea as well.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:48 am

The fact that even the modern day Argentinian navy still counts a number of masted warships in it's fleet gives a very real touch stone for a pair of "grand fleets" with a whole mix of vessels and craft.

I can feel a write up of all this coming one (whether I use it directly in game or not!)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:54 am

Please do a write-up! And perhaps another few Sample Fiefs as well? I want to set a game on the Austram Islands now :p
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:03 am

I've started writing the two fiefs up (the Count's & Countess') ;) (digressed from writing my "sample player's fief"...) so expect "something" soon.

(Going to have to take my players here now....hmmm, or may be run an online game set there...)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:05 am

That's fantastic, Bertjammin! Let's chart the Known World one piece at the time :D
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:24 am

Now see what you've done! I've started writing up notes for "The Austram War: An Unofficial Fading Suns Supplement" now!
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:35 am

That's a good boy!
(numerous projects)

Return to “For Game Masters”