Card games in the Known Worlds

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Aurin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Card games in the Known Worlds

Postby Aurin » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Are there any mentions in the Fading Suns canon about card games played in the Known Worlds? I can't recall any besides Blink. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Card games in the Known Worlds

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 am

No idea, sorry - I can't find any references to named games in the books I have to hand. Do they need to be canonical ones?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:42 am

I cannot remember any. If there are any, they were likely described in fluff material, which I tend not to remember much details from. I can say that in an upcoming FSR product, there's a fluff bit on people playing a variant of poker called "Imperios" (I think it was) :) Also, I seem to remember official FS1/FS2 artwork showing people playing cards.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 am

All the references I've found so far just refer to generic "card and dice games" rather than named games. There's a huge universe (even with the limit of the jump network) so there's room for plenty of games (and regional variations). Grab a copy of "Hoyles Games" and run one of the card game's names through Google translate ;)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks. While I agree with the argument that realistically, every region has its own games and feel free to makeup whatever, I think that it's important to have one that is used often - Stars Wars has sabacc, Serenity has faro, wheel of time has stones, Game of Thrones has the dragon chess game. Now FS has Imperios.

Angelman, any chance that you could share the blurb on the game from the fluff material?

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:09 am

If we accept that there is an interstellar culture in the Known World, then there would surely also be an interstellar popular culture which includes Known World-wide games and such. So yeah, we might want to address some fluff bits like this down the road.

As for the blurb, I am not in the position to share it (I didn't write it and I'm no bossman), and this project is yet in pre-edit form. However, I'll look into it when we're a little further into the project.
(numerous projects)

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Okay, keep me posted.

Holz

Postby Holz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:52 pm

And there was another game... can't remember where I read it, that mixed chess pieces and virtual stuff on a Think Machine kind of thing/visor.

Need to re-read some books. =P
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:07 pm

yeah, me too. I think that I'm going to do a proper read through of all of the books again in the upcoming months.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:43 am

Hear hear... There's sooo much stuff to remember! Do take note of any interesting stuff you find (you know, appart from EVERYTHING!!) :p Someone compiled a whole lot of useful lists some years ago, back on one of the RedBrick forums, and those whould be very nice to have here.
(numerous projects)

Return to “For Game Masters”