Questing Knights and Imperial Cohorts

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Aurin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Questing Knights and Imperial Cohorts

Postby Aurin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:15 pm

A few questions on the position of Questing Knight and Imperial Cohort:

1) What is the process of becoming a Questing Knight? Is there training involved? What else happens aside from swearing some oaths of loyalty? How long does it take?

2) For imperial cohorts, what is the reaction from the Cohort's old faction? I can't imagine that the Charioteers are too happy with a ship captain pledging his loyalty to the Emperor while he still holds valuable League information and a handful of charioteer-owned jump keys.

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Questing Knights and Imperial Cohorts

Postby Angelman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:42 pm

These are good questions, but I do not think there are any published answers for them. It is, however, part of things we aim to tackle.

My personal opinion is:
for 1) there is probably instruction and indoctrination, but I do not think there is much training. Once accepted into the Questing Knights, you would be putt to relevant work for the Phoenix Emperor. If you perish in service because you are not fit for your duty, then another will step in and fill your shoes. The QK are not super troopers or any such things, they are political tools; nobles from scores of houses that Alexius has flocking to his person. The QK demonstrates Alexius power over the Known Worlds, and every noble who abandons the ancestral house for the higher power that is the Phoenix Throne, weakens the potentially enemy houses, while bringing a myriad of talents and backgrounds and intelligence about the noble houses to the Emperor. So yeah, swearing an oath and proving to be trustworthy (a proving that is constantly affirmed through service) is "all" that is required to become a QK (if your application is survives the initial censors that is).
and for 2) As long as the Emperor is in power, there is little the factions can do about "turncoats" - the Charioteers will not jeopardize their Imperial contracts just because a few scores of captains swear allegiance to the Phoenix Throne. Hell, the Charioteers' Guild might even pay lip service and praise the guilder for their "wise and patriotic choice", but the Pancreator help the turncoats if Emperor Alexius ever lose the throne! Then there will be a day of reckoning! (It is also worth mentioning however, that there are probably many within the guilds and sects who appreciate the New Known Worlds Order of Emperor Alexius, so "turncoats" probably also have supporters within the ranks of the various factions.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:27 pm

That all makes sense. Basically they are "re-knighted" by Eviathian Hawkwood as an Imperial Questing Knight, leaving their old house and allegiances behind. Two more follow-up questions then:

1) What happens if a first born son joins the QK? Does he lose all rights to inheritance of the hereditary estates?
2) Is it possible to re-join their old house after a "term of service"? I seem to remember something about certain Knightly Orders having a specific obligaion. Maybe it was the Swords of Lextius? Does anyone else remember this too?

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:56 pm

I am sure there are loads of Reeves lawyers arguing these questions as we speak ;)

My guess is that until Emperor Alexius establishes a proper House Imperial, at which time the QK will officially become part of a new noble house rather than just the Imperial administration, QKs can inherit their family. At present, the Questing Knights are "just" an knightly order, not officially a faction. Still it is very complicated. I'm not certain... Suggestions?

As for 2), I don't think you ever quit the QK. You could probably negotiate a return to your former life once your tours are up, but you would probably forever remain on call for the Phoenix Throne.
(numerous projects)

Sir Marco

Postby Sir Marco » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:19 pm

Yeah..i would call the knights an. Order, like Order of the Rose. Being a member of an order does not prohibit you from being a member of another family. Think of it as a marriage. Hawkwood princess is married off to Al-Malik prince. She then owes loyalty to both and can still inherit a villa on her old home world.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Well put, Sir Marco :)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:53 am

Can Aliens be Imperial Cohorts? I thought they could and were examples of such but I can't find them now (and the FSRPG states clearly that the Benefice has a prerequisite of being a guilder or ordained clergy....)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 am

Well, as long as the alien is a guilder or a clergyman, they can. There is nothing discriminating against them as such in this regard. Another question is whether alien nobles (i.e. Ur-Obun & Ur-Ukar aristocrats, and Vorox of chieftain stock) can become Questing Knights. I would say yes, just because I like diversity and I'm a firm believer that allowing things generates more play than prohibiting things. Personally, I also allow nobles to become Imperial Cohorts of more powerful QKs, which I am not sure is in line with canon (in my games this is particularly common with children of vassals accompanying a scion of a patron as companion, as well as being common for unrecognized bastards).
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:18 am

Ok - opinions on this then: an Ur-Oban Vhem-Saahen champion, does it make sense that he could be made an Imperial Cohort of an Imperial Knight of House Hawkwood who vouches for him and he has known and fought alongside for some years?

I'm figuring that's a fair justification and (as it's a player character) the main heroes of a story should be unique and rare individuals.

I also figure that it makes the associated player character Knight that bit more responsible for the cohort's conduct (as a special exception has been given - possibly at the knight's specific request) and I figure it'll be fun.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:35 am

I say, go for it! Unless there are specific reason in the Vhem-Saahen that prevents the Ur-Obun from serving in an Imperial Cohort (I can't remember any such contiditons, but it has been a while since I read up on this), there should be no problem. Of course, the character would have to juggle multiple oaths/obligations, but that is probably fairly common. (At least in the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance, gentlemen had a tendency to collect initiation and degrees in several knightly orders - today of course, royals are pretty much member of every knighty order there is in Europe, although none of it matters much any more). So yeah, have fun with it. It sounds like a nice variation on the Imp.Cohort :)
(numerous projects)

Return to “For Game Masters”