Questing Knights and Imperial Cohorts

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Questing Knights and Imperial Cohorts

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:40 am

I also figure that the juggling multiple oaths/responsibilities thing is a major factor of the setting and a great source of drama (plus the Imp. Knight and Imp. Cohort/Obun player were big Legend of eth Five Rings players and Samurai fiction fans - they will love all that conflict of interest stuff).

Plus the Obun may be a secret an alien rights activist/terrorist... (cue: Evil GM cackle)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 am

Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:18 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:38 am

FASA is in crazy GenCon preperation modus right now, but hopefully it shouldn't be too long till this thing lifts off :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Soon, my friends, soon. We've got it back from editing and I just need to sit down, confirm the edits and start getting chapters over to layout. I think I owe the book a few NPC's but that shouldn't be a big deal. ;)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:15 pm

1) What is the process of becoming a Questing Knight? Is there training involved? What else happens aside from swearing some oaths of loyalty? How long does it take?

I would expect the Order is invitation only but that the invitations are handed out pretty freely. A questing knight writes you a letter of reference, there is some background check into your politics and criminal past and you're sent the golden letter. You meet with a panel that interviews you and if news arrives that week that another half-dozen Questing Knights haven't checked in, you're probably golden. I like the idea that the Emperor attends your knighting ceremony since it is his baby and he's a hands-on sort of leader. You are given an orientation about what the general public doesn't know about the laws of the order and it's lower ranking secrets, you're allowed to recommend a co-hort or two and once they're checked into and sworn-in you're off across the known worlds righting wrongs.

2) For imperial cohorts, what is the reaction from the Cohort's old faction? I can't imagine that the Charioteers are too happy with a ship captain pledging his loyalty to the Emperor while he still holds valuable League information and a handful of charioteer-owned jump keys.

I would think that both Church and Guild are hot to have as many of their number in the Cohorts as allowed. It is a huge amount of political power to just be in the same room as a Questing Knight. Certainly worth sacrificing a few thousand Firebirds of income a year. However they don't want you to drink the coolaid. Superiors will constantly push Cohorts to reveal information about the Knight and the Order that benefits the Sect or Guild.

As for Alien, freemen, Noble Cohorts I think there would be mixed outlooks and some in the order would take political stances against it. There is likely a contesting clause for Cohorts that members of the order believe are getting a free ride, maybe an exciting challenge that can be played out in character to establish the right of a Cohort.

Return to “For Game Masters”