Combining Theurge & Psi

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Combining Theurge & Psi

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:31 am

Now I'm sure this has probably been covered before but I can't find an express reference to it.

Is it possible for the same individual to be both a Psi & learn Theurgic rituals? I realise that both would take a lot of time to learn and master (plus there's the issue of finding someone to teach you both) but with age lengthening drugs, cybernetics etc and rogue practitioners of the arts, bribery, extortion etc those "practical" limitations could be overcome. But all would be for naught if they are mutually exclusive abilities.

It would be by no means common though. I'm thinking some Eskatonic clergy might be penitent psychics with access to occult rituals, or some nobles might have the resources and time to involve in such study.

Thoughts?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Re: Combining Theurge & Psi

Postby Angelman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 am

As far as FS lore is concerned, different types of occultism are not mutually exclusive. Of course, you'd "waste" a lot of points trying to specialize in two such fields, but if the player and GM likes the idea, then there's no reason you can't have a psychic theurgist or whatever. Go for it! :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:50 am

I was thinking primarily of NPCs but I could foresee our Eskatonic priest player (who has so far been able to keep his psychic gifts hidden from all but one of his brethren in the order) eventually asking the question.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:07 am

If it makes for a fun game, then go for it :)
I don't think there's a balance issue in doing that, although it would cost quite a few XP to buy Theurgy + some rites.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:55 am

My main GM adage applies:

Fun 1st
Story 2nd
Rules 3rd

:)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:24 pm

I think I tried to emphasize that same order of play in the rules too. :)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 pm

There seems to be, or have been a bias against the two coming together as if they are thematically separated. Honestly I'm not sure how you would reconcile both Urge and Hubris in the same person.

Holz

Postby Holz » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Never tought of that... imagine a Urge with Hubris... *shivers* TPK!
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Return to “For Game Masters”