What do you like to see in a city write-up?

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What do you like to see in a city write-up?

Postby Angelman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:29 am

Hi all,

I am doing a write-up for a Fading Suns city, and I would like to know what you people think about RPG city source material. What works and what does not work in such material? And what kind of, if any, wanted information do you find city sourcebooks and the like typically fail to include? In short, what is your dream RPG city book/article like?

Thank you in advance for any feedback :)

Best wishes,
Vidar
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Antra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What do you like to see in a city write-up?

Postby Antra » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Really as much general information as possible. I've always found information on political structure, populace breakdowns, areas of importance, average technology level of an area, figures of note (political, military, criminally, etc.), and items of economic interest, to be very important. All of these areas can lead to adventure hooks for players as well as thinks players like to get involved in.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:59 pm

You're my kind of gamer, Antra - EVERYTHING can, as you indicate, be an adventure hook. I too find all those things interesting; inspiring food for thought :)
(numerous projects)

Amlost

Postby Amlost » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:27 pm

I think one version of my answer is well documented in "Of Bastards and Exiles." However from the lack of comments I don't know if it's a popular answer...

I'm a also a big fan of the old MERP cities. Short History, Geography, Culture/Lifestyle; People/Houses/Inhabitants; Commerce/Industry; Politics/Power; Places of Note; Personalities of Note. Add some suggested adaptations/adventure ideas at the end; looking good. I'd recommend a look if you can still find them.... Darn I'm old...

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:58 am

I don't have experience with the MERP products, but it does seem to cover it all. And yeah, age... no fun that...

I wonder, is there a difference in what styles and content newer generations of gamers find useful compared to what oldies are used to from the 80s and 90s?
(numerous projects)

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:18 pm

I think that our city write-ups cover most of those things so we should be in pretty good shape. Definitely something we are going to keep an eye on and our first product with cities is Criticorum Discord so that will be setting the standard. No pressure Angelman. :P
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Oh, thanks boss! That doesn't up the pressure at all... :p
(numerous projects)

Aurin

Postby Aurin » Wed May 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Looking forward to it! I'd also say it's important to know the general information that the characters will generally interact with in their normal course:
- the starport, who runs it, what's special
- the important nobles on planet, the ones that the noble PCs will check in with and do their normal political maneuvering, and the political climate
- How strong the presence of the Guilds are, and which guilds are the most important. What families / hongs run the show, etc.
- The local religious leaders
- the black market, what's available

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sat May 17, 2014 11:10 am

Although limited by space and the requirements of the book these write-ups are in, I think we managed to cover most of those points, Aurin. Or we managed to hint at them if nothing else. I'm looking forward to see feedback on this book :)
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Tue May 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Well, other than what everybody posted, some plots that are happening at the moment (scravers are smmuling something), festivals and parties common to that city.
Something that I consider very cool is to have a city map. Altough sometimes hard to produre or leave free to other GM´s to create, capitals hardly change over time (maybe only in size). Just a few thoughts! :)
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Return to “For Game Masters”