Character vs Starship Weapon damage

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Antra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Character vs Starship Weapon damage

Postby Antra » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:50 am

So the question has come up in my group and I can't seem to find an answer. And thus I turn to you all.

If a character sized target is attacked with a starship class weapon, what (if any) rules are there for assigning/mitigating damage or character survival. Other than the target being instant dust (which I'm trying to avoid), I can only think of using a damage multiplier when figuring out how much someone is going to take.

Conversely, are there any rules for attacking a starship with character crewed/carried weapons?

Angelman

Re: Character vs Starship Weapon damage

Postby Angelman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:49 am

It seems that damage scales fell out of the FSR rules at some point, even though we have scales in the vehicles (i.e. Personal Scale, Vehicle Scale, Starship Scale, Space Station Scale). I think the old rules (which might have been FS3 rather than early FSR) stated that with a scale difference of 1, the damage was multiplied or divided by 5 (depending on which scale attacked which defending scale). Beyond that, it was either instant kill or no effect.

In other words, a vehicle scale weapon did DMGx5 vs. people, and DMG/5 vs. starships. Again, these might have been FS3 rules. I do not have access to the books right now, so I can't check it. Also, it is possible we covered this in the GM Guide?
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Antra

Postby Antra » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:57 am

I did not find damage scales in the GM book. There is also no reference to it in the index.

I'll try finding a copy of FS3. Perhaps this scale would make it into future supplements?

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:02 am

I'll take a look into this and see what happened. Definitely an oversight on my part. Definitely need something to get an official ruling.

Off the cuff just to keep a game running I would do 5 multiply / divide by the scale difference, taking into account that heavy weapons are generally designed to work at their normal damage value versus vehicles. I would also say though that starship shields are nigh impervious to small arms fire, whereas any starship weapon will instantly overload a personal scale shield and any type of starship weapon does bleed-through on personal shields in the same manner as a plasma weapon.

So something quick and dirty just to keep the game going.
Starship -> Vehicle = x 5
Starship -> Person = x 10 (5 multiplied by 2, one for vehicle scale, one for personal scale)

Person with normal weapons -> vehicle = divide by 5
Person with hvy weapons -> vehicl = normal
Person with normal weapons -> starship = divide by 10
Person with hvy weapons -> starship = divide by 5

One thing I always forget every time I run the game is how deadly combat can be.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Antra

Postby Antra » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:17 am

Thank you both for your prompt response!

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 am

Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Antra

Postby Antra » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 am

Return to “For Game Masters”