Experience Points Expenditure

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
donjim
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Experience Points Expenditure

Postby donjim » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:12 am

Heyas,

My players want to buy new fighting styles, and learn new languages (of which they are exposed), using their newly gained experience points. I couldn't find anything about it in the (Revised) Player's Guide, nor the GM's Guide. Any thoughts here?
Basically I know this is supposed to be gained through roleplay, and this is fine, but still - you need to be able to translate it to experience points. I mean, otherwise how do you track when a character has really learned the language, and is now able to speak it, for example?

Thanks!

(Originally posted by mistake over at Blue Planet forums)

Angelman

Re: Experience Points Expenditure

Postby Angelman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:55 am

Hi donjim,

Both languages and fighting styles are categorized as Benefices in FSR, which means you buy them just as you would other Benefices. However, it seems that Blessings, Curses, Benefices, and Afflictions have fallen off the “Experience Increase Chart” table on p.106. I would say you pay 2x the Extra Points pt cost of the Blessings/Benefices when buying it with Exp (just as you would for most skills, occult powers, and Wyrd). [Does that sound about right, Bogie?]

Language (p.142) is a 2pt Benefice (which therefore would cost you 4 Exp to purchase later in the game), that gives you access to one additional language. Each Fighting Style (p.151) is a 5pt Benefice (10 Exp to buy later in the game), which upon purchase gives you access to one special combat stance/effect (which you get automatically) and three general stances/effects (for which you must also have the required prerequisites to qualify for – see p.239-243).

Hope that helps :)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Don't quote me on this but I am almost positive that we decided Fighting Styles would cost 10xp somewhere. :)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:35 am

Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

donjim

Postby donjim » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Thanks a lot :-) :thumbup:

Return to “For Game Masters”