LARP Ideas

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gannok
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

LARP Ideas

Postby Gannok » Sat May 11, 2013 5:27 pm

So I've been working on a rules set for a LARP version of the game. I'm kinda basing it off of the Vampire MET system, but only as a baseline. One of the ideas I'm using, because I like it, is the Advantage/Disadvantage system from that game.

For some quick example of what I'm talking about for the uninitiated. The Brujah clan have the Disad of getting angry easier. This can cause them to frenzy much easier as well (frenzy is when they enter a berzerker rage and can't control their actions). Their advantage is that they have a call to arms. They can get all the other Brujah in an area to "fight the man" or whatever is needed. The Ventrue clan on the other hand have very particular feeding habits, they have a chosen group of people they feed from and that is all. They can not feed off of anything and will just throw up blood not from that source. They also have such ties to wealth that they can have a permanent level of wealth. Also, it's hard to lie and say you are a Ventrue when you are not. They have such good record keeping of themselves that it makes it nearly impossible to pretend to be one.

I'm looking to brainstorm ideas for Fading Sun that are akin to this concept. An advantage that is common to all of a particular sect.

One I kinda like is for the Decados. Their advantage I am calling "We Cheat" and basically it allows them to retest one challenge, once per game, because they do something that is dishonorable or cheap. This goes with the idea that in duels they have a tendency to do things like use strobe lights in their opponents eyes or use a poison that slows their opponents down. Their disadvantage, I don't have a clever name for but is simply called "Vice". They have something that they are just addicted to doing. It could be drugs, or a behavior, it's just something frowned upon by society. If they don't try to partake in their vice at least once a game, they will suffer penalties. What those are or how they work, I haven't decided yet. They also start with some amount of Knavery and a Malefaction skill.

But there is my basic idea. As I said, I'm looking to brainstorm. I have some ideas already, but it doesn't hurt to get other peoples ideas. I plan on doing the 5 Royal Houses, 5 major guilds, and the 5 major sects of the church at first. Minor houses, minor church sects, and minor guilds are also in the works, but I haven't worked on them yet. But don't feel constrained by my desire to do those 15 first. If you just lurv you some Xanthippe, then feel free to do that minor house, or whatever. What I'm looking for is: an Advantage, a Disadvantage, and 2 skills they excel at for each group.

Anunnaki

Re: LARP Ideas

Postby Anunnaki » Sat May 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Hiya,

Are you familiar with the Passion Play rules for Fading Suns, Gannok? Link here: http://store.holistic-design.com/index. ... ducts_id=7

Also, I know that Kettle of Fish Productions regularly run FS LARPs at the major game conventions in the USA (Origins, Gen Con, and others). They are a great bunch of people and have a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/KettleOfFishProductions

Kind regards, James

Gannok

Postby Gannok » Sun May 12, 2013 5:09 pm

Yes, I have that book. I am not a fan of that rules set. That's why I'm making my own. I'm also trying to do something that people are more familiar with so that a transition would be easier to handle. Many people are already familiar with the MET system. So if I can make a Fading Suns LARP system that is its own thing, but has some of the MET feel, then people would be more inclined to play and keep playing.

However, I will check out that Facebook page.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Mon May 20, 2013 8:14 pm

... and this is going to be ready to run at GenCon so I can play, right? :)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Gannok

Postby Gannok » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 am

If you're talking to me, I'm afraid I'm not going to GenCon. But I will have at least a working Alpha by the end of the month. As that's my deadline for the playtest I'm doing.

angelicmadrigal

Postby angelicmadrigal » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:17 pm

:clap: :thumbup:

Return to “For Game Masters”