Muster ranged combat style

Discussion on playing Fading Suns. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Madmage
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Muster ranged combat style

Postby Madmage » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:04 pm

I was perusing the advanced combat styles the other day and was surprised to see the Muster guild didn't have one for ranged combat (they do have Iron Heel for melee though). This got me to thinking what could Muster soldiers have to differentiate themselves from regular goons with guns. Now, the cannon of the game states the Imperial Phoenix army is arguably the best trained so I'm not aiming towards making something on par or better with that style. Rather, I'd like to see something to give them a flavour unique to them and begin a discussion on the topic. I haven't found a name for the style yet so feel free to suggest your own! I've only come up with inspiration for 1 combat ability so far, so feel free to suggest others.

Lock and Load
Slug Gun or Energy guns 4, Crafting (gunsmithing) 2

When reloading and shooting in the same turn, the penalty is reduced from -6 to -4.

Explanation: I feel a mercenary outfit like the muster, even on a planetary or jumpweb scale, will not employ a large logistical and support staff for its soldiers in an effort to cut costs. As such, their mercenaries have to maintain their own equipment (the need for crafting for repairs or custom accessories). Perhaps a part of their salary involves a budget to spend on their own weapons. Because of this, the troops know how to better unload an empty clip and slip a new one in. This would also encourage muster characters towards automatic weapons for burst fire as they are less likely to get caught at a huge disadvantage during a reload.

Leviathan of Maddoc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Muster ranged combat style

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:57 pm

The following is highly Non-Canon stuff taken from an alternative ruleset we play with.

BAMCB (4 pts)
This is the unarmed fighting technique developed for mercenary training by the Muster Guild. It stands for Brawling Alternative Martial Combat Basics but ask a Muster and they’ll tell you it stands for Best Asskicking Money Can Buy. The rudimentary techniques are taught to every Muster Merc in their Camp Training, but classes in BAMBC are available to nearly everyone with the Firebirds to pay a teacher. The Art emphasizes brawling attacks meant to disable opponents combined with advanced rifle-and-bayonet maneuvers. A group of Muster Mercs well-trained in this school will tear apart a charge from a company of militia fighters or poorly trained soldiers.

The idea behind BAMBC is defensive or assault actions that can be taken with a rifle in your hands. Sort of advanced parries and lunge strikes. The sort of thing you'd want to be amazing at if solders were closing in faster than you could reload. The training essentially makes you more skilled at parries with a rifle and makes you frightfully good and shoving a bayonet through someone's heart.

Muster Rifle Control Academy (3 pts)
This is the sweet science of war, the Rifle Training Regimen that every Muster Merc learns in Camp Training. It is very similar to the Rifle Training that most noble hoses give their elite riflemen, mostly because those training programs were built by masters of this style. However you won’t see many of the advanced techniques in play on a Count’s training grounds. The style emphasizes cautious engagement from cover and mobility to control field position.

The idea behind Control Academy Training is precision shooting, suppression and use of cover. It reduces penalties for firing on the move or targeting people who are popping out of cover and allows you to learn to clear jams faster.

See also...

Arms Technical Applications Sciences (4 pts)
ATAS is the remarkable firearms training regimen of the Think Machine warriors. It is a scientifically developed ranged fighting style that emphasizes maximizing the tactical application of firearms to overcome instinctive responses to threats. While originally developed for the Engineer’s Guild they are happy to train others in the style now that the patent is no longer generating Firebirds.

The idea behind ATAS is everything I could think of to make you afraid of think machine warriors. They gain a talent that allows them to be constantly aware of the condition of their weapon and never lose track of how many rounds they've fired, Shoot people in close combat without being parried and disassemble people's guns as a close-combat defense, basically the fusion-rifle equivalent of grabbing someone's gun in a brawl and pulling the slide out.

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:12 am

I'm glad to read we are of a similar mind when it comes to the thoughts on the muster firing style including suppression fire rules. Perhaps a bonus to the will check when entering an area under suppression fire?

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:43 pm

When I thought about what a trained Muster style looked like I didn't think it would be reckless. I pictured calculated risks, keeping yourself behind cover and exploiting your opponent's poor ideas to gain control of the battlefield. I don't see Muster Mercs advancing into suppressing fire, but your view of the Muster could be very different.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:21 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Holz

Postby Holz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:14 pm

They'd just use orbital bombardment.

"Another satisfied customer." Lt. James Horrigan - after bombardement of the village of insurgents on Malignatius was "taken care" of.
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:49 am

My reasoning was they are more combat hardened and less prone to "break" formation, or balk at the dangerous missions their employers might send them too.

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:53 am

My reasoning was they are more combat hardened and less prone to "break" formation, or balk at the dangerous missions their employers might send them too.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:08 pm

I think the image of them as hardened mercenaries is pretty apt. I've always considered them a bit more paramilitary though rather than strict military though, but I don't know if that is really canon. My thought was that they were more like an "independent" police force. Of course there is definitely room for many groups and specializations within the Muster.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:12 pm

I always through of the difference between House Soldiers and Muster as Duty versus Occupation. House Soldiers are toes on the line when the morning bugle plays, muster are dragging ass and wandering from tent to tend looking for coffee. Soldiers keep their belongings nearly packed and organized as if they need to have things ready to be shipped back to their family when they die, Muster move in and set out their keepsakes as if they're moving in every time they reach an encampment. Soldiers know the optimal drill to maintain their weapon, muster know the operation of their weapon enough to understand why one method is better than another, they will clean their weapon differently in an arctic battlefield than they will in a windy plain. Soldiers never question orders, Muster will argue about tactics with their superior if it looks like the battle plan will cost them a bonus or expose them to undue risk. Soldiers are looking for an opportunity to make their mark on the battlefield, Muster are looking for ways to demonstrate that hiring mercenaries was a smart move and the rest of the time they're looking for the way to collect firebirds with the least amount of getting killed. When the day is won Soldiers are finding their surviving friends and celebrating, muster are packing up fast so they can get their money and start looking for the next job.

Return to “For Players”