Question: Hardness and TL

Discussion on playing Fading Suns. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
macd21
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question: Hardness and TL

Postby macd21 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:21 am

So on page 283 of the player's guide it notes that most melee weapons tend to have the 'Hard' quality at TL 5. Does this include vibro or shocker weapons? If you buy a shock war sword do you effectively get a weapon with both the shock and hard qualities for +30fb?

Angelman

Re: Question: Hardness and TL

Postby Angelman » Sun May 24, 2015 10:27 am

Hm.... I think you've found a loophole there.

Actually, since vibro weapons have loose blades that "rattle" to cause the effect, I would rule that they can't also be hard. Does that make sense?

As for shockers, I can't think of any reason why a weapon couldn't be both Hard and have a built-in taser...

In any case, you need to pay the additional TL-upgrade costs for most melee weapons to get them to TL5.

Hm... thougths
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

macd21

Postby macd21 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:23 pm

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun May 24, 2015 3:29 pm

Good points! To be honest, it's been... almost four years since I last worked on these rules, and I can't quite remember how I envisioned everything to hang together. Back then, I thought it was quite well put together (for the time we had to do it), but there are bound to be logic cavities and loopholes therein. It is difficult to make simple over-reaching rules that stay consistant and relevant for 40 different settings (i.e. 40 worlds, each with their own social, cultural, economic, and technological situation), and in the end the GM must decide how to apply the rules in any given situation.

Much of the question have to do with definition of what "Hard weapons" are, and the like.

How would you run with this, macd21?
(numerous projects)

macd21

Postby macd21 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:11 pm

I suppose I'd go with the (IMO) simplest option - if you get a vibro or shock weapon (paying the +30 or +100), you can take it that you 're buying a TL 5 weapon and get the Hard quality as well. The only real issue with this is that it technically makes a TL 5 shock blade cheaper than a TL 5 blade (base price +30 vs base price x4, which will usually result in prices of 50 and 80 respectively), but I don't think that's a big deal.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun May 24, 2015 4:18 pm

What about allowing both "upgrades", for the most expensive option?
(numerous projects)

macd21

Postby macd21 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:41 pm

You mean charge for example 110 (20 x4 to bring it up to TL 5 and get Hard + 30 for shock)? That'd work as well, I think my only real problem with it is the way it's presented in the book makes that a non-intuitive approach, whereas I think it's more likely for shock and vibro weapons (being TL 5) to have the Hard quality by default.

Return to “For Players”