EDR Planned Products?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Anunnaki
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EDR Planned Products?

Postby Anunnaki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:18 am

Hiya,

It will be a GenCon release.

Take kaer, James

luckymutt
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby luckymutt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks!

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun May 05, 2013 9:18 am

Okay, so we won't be able to get the GM guide until mid-late August . . . how would I do starting a game with the EDR Player's Guide and a bunch of old books, none of which are EDR or ED3 (the last things I got were the Compendiums.)

slayride
Site Admin

Postby slayride » Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 am

You can generally use the same stats. The biggest change in terms of EDC to ED3 in the creature department was Movement Rate changes. EDR has some changes to stats from the characteristic table shift and slightly different Health Ratings (DR, UR, WT), but its not so important to recalculate them as they will work until the GMG comes out as is.

Movement Rate is at its basic:
Slow -1 Movement Rate 5 hexes/10 yards (Dwarf, Obsidiman)
Normal Humanoid 6 hexes/12 yards (Human, T'skrang, Ork)
Fast +1 Movement Rate 7 hexes/14 yards (Elves, Trolls)
Windling Ground 3 yards/6 hexes and 8 hexes/16 yards Flying
Quadrapeds add +2 to movement rates above works fine (such that slower quadrapeds have a 7 hexes/14yards Movement Rate, normal have an 8 hexes/16yards Movement Rate, and fast ones have a 9 hexes/18 yards Movement Rate).
Burrowing is generally half the normal movement rate. So an Earth Q' Wril as a small quadraped has a Movement Rate of 7 hexes/14 yards so half would be 3 hexes/6 yards while underground.
For natural climbers and aquatic swimmers, you can use their Climbing/Swimming step number as their Movement Rate as a fast cheat. So a creature with a Climbing step of 7 and being a natural climber like a spider would have a 7 when climbing. A shark with a Swimming step of 8 would have a Swimming Movement Rate of 8 etc. You can also halve this for the Movement Rate of semi-aquatic creatures/races for Swimming. You can do the same by halving the Climbing step number for trained climbers if you find the climbing speeds in the book too slow (I do, especially since Great Leap can get your full Movement Rate without spending an action).
For Flyers, figure out their Ground Movement Rate and then add +5 hexes/10 yards to it, which sets them up similar to windlings as a fast way to do it.
Follow those rules and you can generally figure out the movement rates of creatures.
Now one thing in EDR I changed was some of the Movement Rates of some animals. If they are going to be an effective mount, they should have +2 hexes/4 yards from the character's Movement. So I increased the Granlain and War Horse Movement Rates from 8 hexes/16 yards to 9 hexes/18 yards in the EDR GM guide. This gives trolls some speed while mounted, which was lacking (7 versus 8 isn't too much of an upgrade in speed).

Another thing you can do is check my blog and my articles. There are some generic Game Master Characters done in ED3 style in them, so you can use them in your games if you need human combat stats (Just ignore Cathay only Disciplines like the Charioteer and Blade Dancer and use the other characters).

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun May 19, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks!

brother

Postby brother » Mon May 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Can we get a hint as to what may be on the drawing boards? Are there plans for any new material? That is to say, material that has not been previously published?

Back in the day, when "Prelude to War" was released; we saw the rise of the Denairastas Clan. At that time I had great hopes for an Iopos/Denairastas source book, akin to the Kratas books. Obviously, that did not happen. :?

(as an aside, I have never been successful in securing a copy of the FASA outline for the war in Barsaive. I presume that LRG's "Barsaive at War" will be the closest I ever get. However, while I am glad that LRG kept the franchise alive, I never cared for the way they handled the Game in any capacity and am reluctant to purchase their product. Could we see a release of "BaW" based upon original FASA intent?)

A few other points on my wish list would be city source books for Urupa and Jerris/Wastes, perhaps even Travar! Also, source books or campaign sets for Landis and Ustrecht.

Of course a fleshed out Soshara, but that is beyond the scope of Barsaive.

What a wealth of information this would make, creating a full and robust Province of Barsaive! Is there a chance we could see any of this in the future?

TIA for your consideration.

(Oh) brother-

ArcadianRefugee

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Mon May 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Preach it, brother!

* A revised Barsaive at War per the original outline <--- oh please oh please oh please
* more detailed info on the Denaraistas
* more detailed info on some of the other major cities/locations

Yes yes yes.

zayven

Postby zayven » Tue May 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Were there really all that many differences between LRG's Barsaive at War and the original FASA outline? I was always under the impression that they were roughly the same in terms of big picture details. I seem to recall that when this issue came up years ago it was kind of like the quest for that mythical, 5 hour director's cut of David Lynch's Dune that we all wanted to exist but actually didn't. Didn't Lou Prosperi even come out at some point and say that the LRG version was more or less what they had sketched out? Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly.

To be perfectly honest, a rehash of Barsaive at War (or some variation of the subsequent Barsaive in Chaos) is about the last thing that I'd want to see anyway. Of course, I could say the same thing about first edition adventure modules retooled for 3rd edition (or revised edition). As someone who has been playing Earthdawn since it came out, I'm kind of at a point of exhaustion with the publication pattern of the last ten years. Earthdawn Classic was a nice effort and I did appreciate the release of 3rd edition because it finally gave me a decent physical copy of the rules (ED Classic was just too big to be practical in book form), but I just can't get excited about another reprint of the same basic book I've been using for almost twenty years.

I was hoping that with the creation of FASA Games we were going to get a real 4th edition that could bring the game into the 21st century with a completely overhauled rules system, all new text, and all new artwork. I understand that the economic realities of the RPG business make this difficult, but I feel like I've been buying the exact same product in a different form for years now. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the license is being kept alive and I know that some new ground was explored during the Redbrick years (Kratas & Cathay), but isn't anybody else ready for something REALLY new?

I'd love to see a radical redesign of the game system. If that sounds too risky for the main game, then maybe it could be done for an offshoot, like a game set in the decades just before the Scourge or something. I still love ED, but the rules system is, in my opinion, starting to feel a little antiquated and stale.

ArcadianRefugee

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Tue May 21, 2013 8:08 pm

You can read Lou's statements here:

:K

zayven

Postby zayven » Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Ah, yes, I do recall reading this at some point.

I think this was why I don't remember the versions being all that different. For me, the issue wasn't whether or not the destruction of Vivane was intentional, but the fact that it happened at all. The original Vivane box set was, in my opinion, the best first edition setting supplement and I resented the fact that it was rendered canonically useless by Barsaive at War (well, at least the book that covers the city; I suppose the Vivane province book would still be usable).

Still, that sort of metaplot driven obsolescence was kind of a common thing throughout the '90s. Same thing happened in TSR's Dark Sun setting when the novels rendered the awesome Valley of Dust and Fire sourcebook completely irrelevant less than a year after it was released. And don't even get me started on Shadowrun sourcebooks (Chicago will ALWAYS be Bug City in my heart!).

In a weird sort of way, the lack of new material has made this a non-issue for Earthdawn. Even though it's easy enough to ignore changes in your own games, it gets harder to do so as more time goes by and the sourcebooks continually incorporate those changes. In any event, I'm glad that I don't have to acknowledge the existence of the LRG metaplot. Seeing Vivane go from the most interesting city in Barsaive to a zombie infested "West Side Parlainth" left a bad taste in my mouth.

This doesn't change my original feeling about wanting to see all new material from FASA Games, though. Complaining about metaplot changes never stopped me from buying Shadowrun books and I doubt Earthdawn would be any different. Had LRG kept putting out books and Redbrick never picked up the license, I would have talked myself into accepting the changes eventually. After all, the Vivane box set describes the city pretty well; now I just need to put zombies in it...

Return to “Product Discussion”