stupid question about dice step changes

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
emeketos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

stupid question about dice step changes

Postby emeketos » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:24 pm

I played mostly 1st edition only briefly looked at any of the other editions. I was curious as to why the step system changed? Particularly the removal of D4 and D20. I can see how a D4 doesn't really roll and as such doesn't make a particularly good die. My only speculation of the D20 was it's ranges were too variable and or less likely to explode maybe the opposite was the case for a d4.

Anunnaki
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: stupid question about dice step changes

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 pm

That's pretty much why, emeketos -- the higher chance of rerolls with D4 and the lack of them with D20. You can still use the ED1/ED2/EDC dice steps if you prefer, however. No biggie doing that whatsoever.

emeketos

Postby emeketos » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:53 pm

I was just curious thanks for the quick reply

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:02 pm

the nifty thing is you can choose to use d4 + d20 instead of 2d12 if you want. The way they explained it IIRC was that 2d12 contained less of an extreme result than did a d4 + d20 so you'd be more in line with the law of averages using 2d12 but still be able to possibly get the same top/low end result as a d4 + d20. I on the other hand have rolled 37 on 1 d4 so I'd prefer going that route It's all up to you in the end which step choice you'd like to make or just let your players (if you're a GM) decide on which they'd rather use if you don't care about mixing it up for that step.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:43 pm

For a look "under the hood" of the Step System, and some understanding about the thinking behind the changes in ED3, checking out my at The Lore Merchant.

In brief, there are a couple of places in the original step system where things got a little funky, and the changes are intended to minimize them.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Ryval

Postby Ryval » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Question for 4th edition...
'What dice steps will be used: a return to ED1 or the continuation of ED3 and it's reliance on a plethora of d12's?
Personally I like my d4 and D20 (although 2 d12 are nothing to sneeze at).

And I liked each race having it's own Karma die (ED1) vs every race having a D6. Just a personal preference.

And whoever signed the contract on the Q-Workshop Earthdawn dice set that included a percentile d10 and a single D6 just wasn't thinking. An Earthdawn dice set should be d4, 2d6, d8, 2d10 (not percentile), d12, d20. By ED1 dice steps that set lets a player use every step until the low 30's.
Just sayin'. ;-)

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:59 pm

The d4 and the d20 are making a return to the ED4 Step Table, which is going to be kind of a hybrid of the ED1 and ED3 versions. There will be more on that in the near future.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Last edited by kosmit on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duvvelsheyss

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:22 pm

I have to say I did miss the the D4 and D20 - they kind of always felt like little orphans after our group moved to 3rd Edtion :)

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”