Swordmasters =rogue

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
talysian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Swordmasters =rogue

Postby talysian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 pm

So in reading one thing I found strange is the swordmaster requires sneak attack. I find it strange the master of dueling and a specific weapon links to sneak attack.. Wouldn't the weapon specialization class feature be more fitting?

The_Gun_Nut

Re: Swordmasters =rogue

Postby The_Gun_Nut » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Swordmaster has Surprise Strike as a talent option, so it's not [t]too[/i] unusual.
There is no overkill.

Only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

Hank Woon

Postby Hank Woon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 pm

In a future supplement dealing with some specializations (like different weaponmaster types and blademaster), that will indeed be the case. For the master of the sword, we feel that rogue works best (rather than, say, fighter). This is also in keeping with the swashbuckler archetype in the Advanced Player's Guide.

Honestly, though, with the Swordmaster's combat-related Adept skills, a rogue really is the way to go. High skill points per level, rogue talents, sneak attack...

fasthd97

Postby fasthd97 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:54 am

I dont see surprise strike on swordsmasters in the pathfinder version. Did you mean in the 3rd edition they have it as a option? Or did you mean cobra strike? Just checking because i thought i misread it.

Digger

Postby Digger » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:18 am

Would the Swordmasters sence of honor and fair play allow him to use sneak attack?
Visit the Earthdawn and Fading Suns DeviantArt Groups or just take a look at my images
DramaScape Line Developer

Morclaw1974

Postby Morclaw1974 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 am

Depends on how the sneak is acquired, for the swordmaster I would take a high bluff and the improved feint feat so that they can feint to flat foot their opponent and gain the sneak attack damage, it fits quite well.

I agree that most won’t shiv you in the back, but using manoeuvres and feinting provide alternate ways to gain the sneak dice, meaning at 7th level a succesfull feint will allow the swordmaster to add 4d6 to his damage as he just out styles his opponent.

Also very nasty if he picks up the bleeding rogue power. however thats more a bladesman than a gallant
Simon `Morclaw' Jones

Return to “Product Discussion”