Earthdawn Quick-Start Preview

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Earthdawn Quick-Start Preview

Postby Mataxes » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:49 pm

After far too long (I've been chipping away at this for a while) the main text is done for the Earthdawn Quick-Start. This is a basic overview of the rules and includes five sample characters and an intro adventure (which serves as prologue to the Legends of Barsaive campaign we launched at GenCon). Great for convention demos or introducing people to Earthdawn without the intimidation factor brought on by the rulebooks!

It still needs to go through editorial and layout, but the full text (as it currently stands) is available for preview:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vobp37qk6sjxp ... t.zip?dl=0

Take a look, and feel free to provide feedback!
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

LouProsperi

Re: Earthdawn Quick-Start Preview

Postby LouProsperi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi Josh,

I took a look through this, and it looks pretty good, but I think there are a couple of things that are missing.

First, the current draft of this doesn't really tell the players anything about the game's setting. I think you should include a high-level Introduction/Overview of Barsaive and the current state of the world. One of Earthdawn's strengths (IMO) has always been the world building behind the game, so leverage that as much as you can.

Second, I think you should provide descriptions/write-ups for the pre-generated characters. At the very least you should include something about the race and Discipline of each, but ideally you should be including names, a brief history, and how the character came to become involved in the adventure. You're rightfully using some ED-specific races and Disciplines, but tell the players next to nothing about them. Use this as a way to really shine a light on just how cool ED is.

For players getting involved in the Legends of Barsaive campaign, add a sidebar telling the players to feel free to change the character's name if they like, and if they choose to continue with the Legends of Barsaive campaign, they can work with the GM to change other specifics of their character as well.

Hope this helps,

Lou

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:13 pm

It's always an evil nethermancer, isn't it <grin>? I like the adventure quite a bit - there's a lot of different things in it, showing that ED is more than a combat simulator, but there is a chunk of fast combat so that it should be pretty exciting. The masks are very thematic, very cool. I definitely would want the characters to be tempted to put them on.

There is an intro file with it that gives some of the sweep of the world, but overall I agree with Lou. The NPCs are fleshed out really well; something similar with the NPCs would help. Maybe there could be a tale-telling, each player choosing a short (1 paragraph) legend to read to the party. I personally would make the Beguiler really deadly, even in his weakened state. If he is summoned, he immediately spears the nethermancer and 4 madmen and flings them into the walls of the cave, killing them all instantly. The players should mess their pants just a little and then start running. If he's a Named Horror worth summoning, he should be really bad news - oh! - but what if his new physical form hatches from an egg? I would like to know more about him either way.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:21 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:15 pm

I appreciate the feedback. Some things to think on (and potentially add).
Josh Harrison --

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:00 pm

I haven't finished reading yet, but agree with the above. I like insta-killing the npc madmen idea, but have it immediately convert them to hostile Cadaver Men, or is that too much of a threat?

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:10 am

Beguiler's stat block was a late addition... the original draft had the info on how long it would take for the ritual to complete and the Horror to come through, but nothing on the Horror itself or what would happen if it did, other than "the PCs become prey" or some such.

I whipped up the stats real quick, but didn't do more than that. So, again, thanks for the thoughts and feedback.
Josh Harrison --

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:04 am

"the masks melt their faces" !?! Skin Shift variant!

Return to “Product Discussion”