New Setting/RPG

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jaracove
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Setting/RPG

Postby Jaracove » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:11 am

Have the designers ever considered taking the ED system and using it for another different setting? Perhaps one with not so much an emphasis on magic?

I think the core of the rules are very good and would serve well.

Dale

Re: New Setting/RPG

Postby Dale » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:03 pm

The ED setting so completely tied into the world I'm not sure it would work well in another setting. It is much the same as the reverse where people have tried to use the ED setting in other systems. It just seems to miss on the whole. No other gaming system or setting has ever grabbed in the way that ED did. Others have been great, but nothing that immersed me as this one.
Dale

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

1879 uses Core Step as well as Earthdawn - 1879 is a lower magic system. I think it would work well for other systems up to a point, but Earthdawn specifics rules such as dealing with patterns etc would likely need dropped.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:54 pm

I have long felt that the core mechanic is pretty robust, and able to handle more than just Earthdawn. As FWD says just above, 1879 uses the "Core Step" mechanic, as will the upcoming Demonworld RPG.

Just before GenCon it was joked that, given the work done to adapt the mechanics to 1879, we have a solid foundation to expand the mechanics into the superhero genre. Which... well... would be something, I guess.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Jaracove

Postby Jaracove » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:01 am

Interesting

Thanks all for the feedback

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:54 am

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:46 pm

I think the core stuff is a great system, and I think it would be really fun for a low powered campaign characters who occasionally have to deal with stuff that is way out of their league - which is why I'm going to give that 1879 stuff to myself for my birthday.

Return to “Product Discussion”