Mists of Betrayal (Revised)?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jaracove
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mists of Betrayal (Revised)?

Postby Jaracove » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 am

Imagine my delight when I found out that 'Mists of Betrayal' had been revised. Unfortunately, that delight quickly faded as I found out it was revised for the 3rd edition :(

Anyway! In what way has it been revised, and would it take a lot of tweaking to make it usable for 4th edition?

Either way, this is a great adventure and my friend and I have fond memories of it.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: Mists of Betrayal (Revised)?

Postby Mataxes » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:18 pm

I took a quick look through the "Revised" edition (which was technically post-ED3 but before ED4) and compared it to the original ED1 version.

Basically, it looks like the challenges have (in general) been scaled back compared to the original. For example, instead of 2 jehuthra in the initial encounter, it's 2 giant spiders. The numbers of opponents have been decreased -- there are only 2 ghouls in the basement level, instead of 1 per PC. The game stats for the Mist were scaled back to be tough but more appropriate for the Circle 2-3 characters recommended (as were the numbers for the Spectral Dancer).

In addition to those changes, some of the chapters (especially early in the book) are fleshed out with additional story hooks.

I know the adventure was included in the "Adventure Compendium" from Earthdawn Classic, and I seem to recall that some of those changes first appeared there (like the jehuthra to giant spider thing), but how similar they are I couldn't say, as I didn't bother tracking where that book was on my shelves and look. The revised version was close to hand and I have the PDF of the original, so I didn't have to get up from my chair.

Edit to add: As for how much tweaking it would take to adapt to ED4... I don't know. I mean, it's not that difficult to grab the appropriate stat blocks from the ED4 GM Guide, but whether that results in a balanced adventure I couldn't say without more analysis than I have time for right now.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Jaracove

Postby Jaracove » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:11 am

Thanks for the reply Mataxes

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:16 am

One thing I have noticed is that Heirmon makes more sense, as a 4th ed Wizard can get item history. In 3rd ed, it made more sense to make Brenula a full-fledged weaponsmith and leave Heirmon out of it altogether.

Return to “Product Discussion”