Earthdawn: Age of Legend

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
zayven
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Earthdawn: Age of Legend

Postby zayven » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:20 am

Well, it might be worth asking. I'm sure there's somebody out here in the ED community who's good at that sort of thing. Finding a "marketing director" might be a little too much to ask, but what about just having somebody to update the website every now and again? I know there's a lot going on here on the forums, but having a near two-year gap between official news announcements is kind of unacceptable. While the website certainly isn't the "end all, be all" of marketing the game, shouldn't it at least be able to direct people to the product? If you go to the Earthdawn section of the website, there's not even a link to take you to the shop. In fact, if you look at that page, there's no mention of 4th edition's existence whatsoever. What's worse, when you click on the "Products" link, it takes you to a page for the Revised edition, a line which was cancelled two years ago.

That's a problem. If another company is going to be producing a licensed version of the game and actively promoting it, it becomes an even bigger problem.

Flowswithdrek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:09 am

zayven

Postby zayven » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Wait a minute, you don't think it's a problem that the Fasa Games website contains hardly any information about Earthdawn 4th edition? It's supposed to be the publisher's flagship game and there's virtually no advertising for it. While I agree that the Kickstarter sparked a lot of interest, keep in mind that the Kickstarter launched two years ago and we're only just now getting the GM Guide. While delays of this sort are not uncommon and are in many ways understandable, they do diminish some of that excitement. But if I wanted to recommend Earthdawn to somebody, where on earth would I direct them if they wanted more information?

Also, the Star Wars comparison kind of reinforces my point about brand awareness. There has only ever been one Star Wars RPG license (which went from West End Games, then to Wizards of the Coast, and now to Fantasy Flight Games). Same goes for most licensed RPG products (Lord of the Rings, Firefly, Star Trek, etc). That's not to say that this sort of thing doesn't happen. With the advent of generic systems like FATE and Savage Worlds, there are many companies out there that offer an alternative version of their games. The difference is that they usually publish those versions themselves. Heck, Vagrant Workshop has done this. You can get a version of Equinox that uses the Match System or one that uses a modified version of FU.

Again, I don't necessarily disagree with the decision to have another version of Earthdawn. To be honest, I'm REALLY excited about this game as I'm kind of done with the Step System. I'm just baffled by the timing and the fact that its being done by another company. Now, it would make more sense if this was something that was always in the cards and only seems like bad timing because of unforeseen delays with 4th edition. That's entirely possible. Also, Vagrant Workshop is run by Carsten Damm, who certainly has a long history with Earthdawn and an previous relationship with Fasa, so it's not like they licensed it out to just anybody.

Return to “Product Discussion”