New Blog Post - Update and Preview

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Blog Post - Update and Preview

Postby Baravakar » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:41 pm

freid78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby freid78 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:19 pm

If you want to use a character's race or Circle as a "modifier" to their ability to resist taint, you certainly can, but I'm not planning to have anything in the official rules to support this. The main reason is there isn't anything in the Earthdawn canon that indicates that one race is more likely to succumb to Horrors than another, and nothing to indicate that high Circle characters are less likely than low Circle characters. (

(Anything along those lines is more an example of a particular character's experience or temperament than Circle.)

Also, these lines of discussion, while interesting, are taking this new mechanic as something that is a lot more pervasive than intended. Right now Corruption in the GM book is mainly tied to powers like Karma Boost, where the character gets a bonus or advantage courtesy of a Horror.

It's actually not that hard to avoid Corruption as currently written. If you don't want it, don't accept help from a Horror.

Of course, part of the deal with Horrors is that they are crafty, and would approach this sort of thing with subtlety. Take the example of Tempter -- he'll make the offer in order to aid in a presumably noble goal (say, granting the strength to lift a wall off a child), putting the character in a moral dilemma. Does he accept the Horror's aid and help an innocent, or decline it and let an innocent suffer?

For the Horror it's a win/win. It either gets the chance to sink its hooks a little deeper, or works on the character by letting him know he could have done something.

Once again, there is a reason this is a fairly nebulous mechanic that doesn't interact very much with other systems. It serves a particular purpose, and if it isn't suited to your play style, or it isn't contributing positively to your game, then it is easily ignored.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:25 pm

ArcadianRefugee

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:06 am

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:19 am

freid78

Postby freid78 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:49 pm

The key problem is the playtesting, as usual. But I think we can consider all instances where corruption could play a role, at least without game mecanics involve, and see where this leads.

I would, for example, prefer the corruption idea inside the waste, instead of the current rule vs ashes.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:07 pm

I like the idea of artisan skills providing some protection against horror marks - in my game, providing a bonus to Mystic Defense against Horror Mark tests equal to the skill rank. Certainly, no one else needs to use that, but I like it. It provides a kernel of truth for the superstition. I'm just reading up on the preview, but I like this corruption idea - in fact, I might have raw magic reduce your corruption threshold in lieu of causing damage. And curses could reduce your threshold - weakening your pattern. But fulfilling blood promises and oaths might raise it. Going up a tier as an adept might increase it. I think I would set each person's base corruption threshold at 9+1d6. There is no telling who is susceptible.

Return to “Product Discussion”