Avoiding Traps

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Avoiding Traps

Postby Baravakar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:13 pm

Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Avoiding Traps

Postby Baravakar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:59 pm

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:10 pm

The way I do it: I ask players to make 10 Per/Awarenes tests (for each PC), write down results and use d10 when I need it (when PC can see traps trigger/gliph). After 4 sessions I ask them to roll again.

Test result tells me how should I change what to describe. As we play alot and for a long time my players know what to watch out for when I change my voice or style. If thats not enuff I describe more or let them have it :P

Some traps you cant avoid just with Ini test (some traps have much too low Ini stat or in case of Pit Trap you can try to avoid falling only if you have spear, staff or a hook), I judge it on how they work in RL. If you spot before you trigger most times you are fine.

As for Magical Traps most of them are hard hitting so I let to test Steel Thought even if "Suprised" with no penalty to MD( but I dont describe whats happening exept: "There is some magical force that wants to influence you"). Most ST users are weak in combat so going first is a risk as ambushes happen.

I dont like to kill my PC, so many times making dmg test I lowered it to harm them bad, but not to kill them (but never if they knew there is a trap, then dice decide).

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:12 am

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:56 am

freid78

Postby freid78 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:43 am

It's hard to reply when the traps are not out yet (in the GM guide)... stuck with half mesure with ED3

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:35 am

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:36 pm

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:04 am

Nice one. I assume your scout have disarm skill/talent, if not he cannot use awareness to detect trap.
Also trap MUST have disarm number see below why.

Let make some more nasty trap:
Long corridor 30 hex, at end artifact in niche with magical trap when you try move artifact it make corridor full of flame.
2 trap is earlier trap (2 meters before niche) with same effect, triggered by any person who is 1 meter before trap.

Now earlier trap:
Party make perception and succeed (no thief in party).

How you can disable trap ?
GM say you roll Per vs Disarm or any talent spell u use, but earlier per test give you any hints how this trap work or only there is trap here like: you see runes on walls that look nasty and you are on your own ?

BUT how you can avoid trap detection with PER roll against Disarm ? Or should i do not think about this as and make magical ED ? :D

Trap mechanics:
PER roll vs Detect
Success: dex/per vs disarm to not trigger ? (if ok then this char is aware of trap)
Avoid by disarm test: avoided trap with no trigger (but this not prevent damage if anyone else trigger)
Fail while Detect ok ->magical test versus MD ! You can try avoid as you aware !

Fail(no detect): Trigger -> magical test versus MD ! No avoid you are not aware !

INI test -> possible use DS to "avoid trap"
But DS remove suprise so in theory you can avoid with Steel Thought, but it is to late - this test is made before activation. I ask this in DS thread for clear ;-D

Now in my example there is no way to avoid trap, so testing INI do not make them not hit, but in theory they can start run faster or everyone can run, success just little earlier they can start run ?

Will astral sight show trap ?
No info in GM if magical trap are concealed or not - if yes same number for astral test as detection ?

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:54 am

Return to “Product Discussion”