Danger Sense Mechainics

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Danger Sense Mechainics

Postby Mataxes » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mataxes » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks again for the clarifications.

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 am

Steel Through can only work on targeted, traps are usually area effect not direct. And you need also be aware, no protection when surprised.

Windling - i do see point for him to make danger sense. Talent/skill directly say that that person need to be in danger, Windling is not. If trap is not falling down but other effect that can harm Windling then yes.

And danger sense is pure reaction so in "common sense" person could not be aware why he do it: trap, hidden attack ? But this make wrong as you are aware by description and react normal. So it is not only reflex but it also give info what will happens soon, trap start, enemy attack etc You cannot react if you have no idea what going on.
Thief have both danger sense and trap initiative, by description this 2 talents overlap (i do not have book so i cannot check difference).
Any trap should have 2 attributes: initiative for surprise and attack for hit (unless it is 100% kill, but that's rather bad and only as punishment players). 1 roll decide if you can react and your status, 2 roll determine effects for trap. And yes trap make surprise which prevent victim for reaction if not then you cannot use danger sense as it only lift surprise. I agree traps are nasty and there is no good mechanics to recognize them before they start working. We usually allow to use Awareness to detect them before (auto roll for all, unless you sure there is no trap there :P )

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:19 am

In Ed4 there is no Trap Initiative Talent. Danger Sense works like it. No need for more stats in traps.
So your roll 1) is Initiative vs traps Initiative. Second roll is when:
- you didnt score enuff in Initiative Test
- you couldnt prevent from being harm (trap got too big AoE, and you couldnt run far enuff)

Traps dont need Attack stat, most of them is build that they AoE is where trigger is, so if activated (and you dont jump away - Ini vs Trap Ini) they hit you.

Looking at realism and some traps Initiative stat they are much too low. Thats what house rules are for. But not many GMs have the will to check what how works.

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:38 am

I checked 4ed, yeah no more hit unless it is magical trap and this one is strange trap need only bypass 1 person to hit all .
I do not understand how you avoid trap, you cannot evade or parry it - no number against.
I wonder how everyone do it ? Move is good for some obvious mechanical trap, but magical without unknown range, effect or anything ?

My idea is to expand ini roll, extra success allow you to :
+1 knowledge of area (how far you need to do move)
+2 rescue other member (if possible), you can catch and jump with someone as fast burst of activity (no roll needed)

Danger sense against trap ok i agree, but versus enemy ambush, how you can instinct react against spellcast for example. No matter how you agile you do not avoid it. And as you do not know what is happening you cannot rational react.
So i think danger sense is mixed pure reaction and divination (In my Opinion) you start reacting by pure reflex but you see what will happens in seconds: something like -> spellcaster throw spell on you, someone shot arrow, trap will sprung. You do not recognize exact detail but some basic information allow you to be "aware".

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:11 am

I think the issue of how danger sense works has been resolved. This seems to be a separate discussion on how traps are avoided. I think its best to take this to another post to keep thing separate.

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:02 am

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:52 am

I have one more problem

"Yes, Steel Thought could prevent a character from suffering the ill effects of a magical trap (like a kaer ward). Keep in mind that, unlike mechanical traps, a ward or magical trap might keep going off on subsequent rounds. In addition, one character being protected by Steel Though does not mean his companions will be protected as well."

But DS test is made after trigger ?
DEtect->trigger(Magick attack)->activation(DS)

Return to “Product Discussion”